xt7qbz618j4m https://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt7qbz618j4m/data/mets.xml California Northern California Historical Records Survey Project. Southern California Historical Records Survey Project. United States. Works Progress Administration 1941 vii, 76 leaves; 28 cm. UK holds archival copy for ASERL Collaborative Federal Depository Program libraries. Call Number FW 4.14:C 128/11 books  English Los Angeles, Calif.: Southern California Historical records survey project This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. California Works Progress Administration Publications Archival resources -- California -- Directories Manuscripts -- California -- Catalogs Archives -- California -- Directories California -- History -- Sources -- Bibliography -- Catalogs California -- History -- Archival resources -- Directories Guide to Depositories of Manuscript Collections in the United States: California, 1941 text Guide to Depositories of Manuscript Collections in the United States: California, 1941 1941 1941 2019 true xt7qbz618j4m section xt7qbz618j4m V 1“ «MT T '
llllflllfllalulflllleHJLllLIfllfl G U I D E , { ,
; TO ‘ , -
DEPOSITORIES .
OF 2 '
1 ! MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS '
_ ’ IN THE
UNITED STATES ;_ '
. CALIFORNIA '
' ' :2, EQEFWTW '
' ‘ ' UK. um /\ '
_ LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA '
. THE HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY
‘ DIVISION OF COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAMS -
WORK PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION. . 4
- /94/ - 1

 f/
{
' GUIDE TO DEPOSITORIES
OF MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
’ IN THE UNITED STATES:
_ CALIFORNIA
Prepared by
The Northern and Southern California ‘
-Historical Records Survey Projects
Division of Community Service Programs
Work Projects Administration
The Southern California
Historical Records Survey Project
Los Angeles, California _
October l94l

 . W
HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVDY PROJECTS
Sargent B. Child, Director
1 Thelma Zicmer, State Supervisor,'Northern California
Edgar L. EcRae, State Supervisor, Southern California
RESEARCH AND RECORD PROGRAMS
, Harvey E. Becknell, Director
‘ Robert H; SlOVer, Regional Supervisor
Diner Chipman, Jr;, Chief, Northern California
George W. Bemis, Chief, Southern California
DIVISION OF
COKKUNITY SERVICE PROGRAMS
1 Florence Kerr, Assistant Commissioner
, Kary H. Isham, Chief Regional.Supervisor
Hope L. Cahill, State Director, Nerthern California
Eleanor Savay, Acting State Director, Southern California
E'JORIC EROECTS fiDIEINISTi-LATION
Howard 0. Hunter, Commissioner
R. L. Nicholson, Assistant Cemmissioner
. ‘ William R. Lawson, State Administrator, Northern California
H. Russell Amory, State Administrator, Southern California
I
SPONSOR
Department of State of California
COSECNSORS
Bancroft Library, University of California
Stanford University Library
‘1.

 I

”To bring together the records of the past and to
house them in buildings Where they will be preserved for
the use of men living in the future, a nation must believe
in three things. It must believe in the past. It must
believe in the future. It must, above all, believe in the
capacity of its people so to learn from the past that they
can gain in judgment for the creation of the future."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

 P R E F A C E

The Historical Records Survey Project, initiated on a Nation—wide basis
in January 1936 under the direction of Dr. Luther H. Evans, operated as a
Federally sponsored project until 1959, when the Emergency Relief Appropri—
ation Act of that year required that all units of the project be locally
sponsored. Since that time, the Department of State of California has been
the official sponsor of the project in Northern California, and since
November 1940, of the Southern California project.

The Survey in California was under the direction of Thelma Ziemer until
January l, 1958, when a separate administrative unit of the Works Progress
Administration was established in Southern California, with Mrs. Ziemer
Director of the Survey in Northern California and Edgar L. McRae Director in
Southern California. In August 1959, the project was placed under the
Division of Professional and Service Projects, the name of which was changed
in February 1941 to Division of Community Service Programs. Since March 1,
1940, Sargent B. Child has been National Director of the Historical Records
Survey Projects.

The purpose of the Survey is to discover, preserve, and make accessible
to the public basic source material for research in the history of the
United States. In December 1936, the Committee on Historical Source Ma—
terials of the American Historical Association suggested to the National
Director of the Survey that the project include in its program the assembling
of data which might serve to make the manuscript resources of this country
available. It was decided that the Survey should undertake the preparation
of publications in the field of American manuscripts to include the follow—
ing: A Guide to Depositories of Manuscript Collections in the United States;
guides‘to manuscript collections} and calendars or lists.3f—individual manu—
script collections of outstanding historical interest.

The present volume, which will form a part of the Guide to Depositories
of Manuscript Collections in the United States, presents for EEbh of 29
Rorthern California and 45‘EbEEEérn California depositories something of its
history, its collection policies, the nature, size and condition of its manu—
script holdings, and other information of interest to possible users of the
manuscripts. It should be known that the list does not purport to include
all the many collections in the archives of families, commercial enterprises,
or private collectors. It is hoped ultimately to prepare a publication of
such holdings, if they are available to readers.

This volume is the result of the joint efforts of the Northern and
Southern California projects of the Historical Records Survey. The infor—
mation contained herein was obtained by personal visits to the institutions
by Survey workers, or when this was not possible, by questionnaires sent to
the custodians of manuscripts. In either instance the correctness of the
information was approved by each custodian, and descriptions were written
before publication and submitted to the custodians for approval.

Appreciation is expressed for the cooperation given to the Survey
workers by the manuscript custodians, and for their assistance in making the
descriptions accurate and complete. Special mention should be made of the _

l.
l
|

 _j_V_

. Preface
assistance given in Northern California by Mrs. Eleanor Bancroft of the
Bancroft Library, University of California; Mrs. Louise Farrow Barr, curator
of the Albert M. Bender Collection at Mills College; Miss Helen M. Bruner,
supervising branch librarian of the Sutro Branch, California State Library,
and Miss Jeannette M. Hitchcock, keeper of rare books and manuscripts at
Stanford University. In Southern California appreciation is expressed for
the interest and aid given by Leslie E. Bliss, librarian, and Herbert C.
Schulz, curator of manuscripts, of the Henry E. Huntington Library and Art
Gallery; Miss Christian R. Dick, librarian, University of Southern California
Library; Dr. Lawrence C. POWell of the Library, University of California at
Los Angeles; Miss Cora E. Sanders, curator, and Mrs. Marian H. Waring, li—
brarian, of the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, University of Cali—
fornia at Los Angeles; and Miss Althea Warren, librarian, Los Angeles Public
Library. Publication of 400 copies of this guide has been made possible by
the contributing cosponsorship of the Bancroft Library of the University of
California and the Stanford University Library.

The entries for Northern California are largely the work of Millicent
Lawrence, assistant State supervisor, who personally gathered the data in
most cases. In Southern California the research was done by various staff
members, of whom the most active was Frederick C. Milford; final editorial
work on this volume was directed by Thomas P. Stricker, manuscripts super—
visor in Southern California, assisted by William Symons and Billie M.
Coostree; the index was compiled by Jean Stevens; stencils were cut by
Margaret Sieck, Pauline Weiss, and Celia Marrujo; proofreading was under the _
direction of Hubert Kotterman. The cover was prepared by the Commercial Art
Department of the Southern California Music Project, and reproduced by the
MPM.Mimeograph Department. Compilation has been made in accordance with in—
structions and suggestions from Margaret S. Eliot, manuscripts editor,
Historical Records Survey, Washington, D. C.

Suggestions for increasing the usefulness of this publication, and ad—
ditional information on the location of manuscript collections, will be ap—
preciated. The list of publications of the Survey included at the back of
this volumn may suggest other fields of Survey work, concerning which sug—
gestions will be Welcomed. Communications should be addressed to the
Northern California State Supervisor, ég'Fourth Street, San Francisco, or to
the Southern California State Supervisor, 1206 Santee Street, Los Angeles.

THEBMA ZIEMER
San Francisco State Supervisor
October 17, 1941 Northern California
EDGAR In McRAE
L03 Angeles State Supervisor
OCtObeT 34, 1941 Southern California
1
.

 TABLE OF CONTENTS
Page
PREFACE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . iii
ARCADIA
Pony Express Museum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l
BERKELEY
Pacific School of Religion, Holbrook Memorial Library . . . . . 1
University of California Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
University of California, Bancroft Library . . . . . . . . . . 5
CAMARILLO
St. John's Major Seminary, Edward Lawrence Doheny
Memorial Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4
CIAREMONT
Claremont Colleges Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
Pomona College Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
COVINA
Covina Public Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7
ESCONDIDO
Escondido Public Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7
FULLERTON
Mojave Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution . . . . . 8
LONG BEACH -
Long Beach Public Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
IOS ANGELES
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences . . . . . . . . . . 9
Historical Society of Southern California . . . . . . . . . . . 9
Frank Billings Houghton . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9
Los Angeles County Museum of History, Science and
Art Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . lO '
Los Angeles Public Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
Los Angeles Public Library, Municipal
Reference Library, City Hall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
Los Angeles Public Library, Municipal
Reference Library, Power and Light Division . . . . . . . . 12
Occidental College Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
Our Lady Queen of the Angels Church . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
Ferdinand Perret Research Library of the
Arts and Affiliated Sciences . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
The Society, Sons of the Revolution, in the
State of California . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
Southwest Museum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
University of California at Los Angeles Library . . . . . . . . 16
University of California at Los AngeleS, William
Andrews Clark Memorial Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
University of Southern California Library . . . . . . . . . . . 19
University of Southern California, Hoose Library
of Philosophy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
MARYSVILLE
Marysville City Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
OAKLAND
Mills College Library, Albert M. Bender Collection . . . . . . 22
PALOS VERDES ESTATES
Palos Verdes Public Library and Art Gallery . . . . . . . . . . 23
y
l

 .. vi ..
Table of Contents Page
PASADENA
California Institute of Technology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
Pasadena Junior College . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
Pasadena Public Library, Fine Arts and
Californians Department . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
POIIONA
' Historical Society of Pomona Valley, Pomona
Public Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
REDLAJDS
University of Redlands Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
SACRAMENTO
California State Archives . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26
California State Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26
Sacramento Society of California Pioneers . . . . . . . . . . . 27
Sutter's Fort Museum of the Days of ‘49 . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
SAN ANSEIMO
San Francisco Theological Seminary Library . . . . . . . . . . . 28
SAN BERNARDINO
San Bernardino County Free Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29
SAN DIEGO
hission San Diego de Alcala . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
San Diego Natural History Museum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50
San Diego Public Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bl
Junipero Serra Museum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 51
SAN FERIANDO -
Lission San Fernando Rey de Espana . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 32
SAN FRANCISCO
California Academy of Sciences Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35
California Genealogical Society‘s Collection . . . . . . . . . . 33
California Historical Society . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 34
The Society of California Pioneers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35
F. H. deYoung Memorial Museum . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . 36
Commonwealth Club of California . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 56
Lane Medical Library of Stanford University . . . . . . . . . . 37
San Francisco College for Women, Lonsignor Joseph K.
Gleason Memorial Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 57
Sutro Branch of the California State Library . . . . . . . . . . 58
University of California Medical School, The Crummer Room . . . 39
University of San Francisco Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO
Mission San Juan Capistrano . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41
SAN LUIS REY
Mission San Luis Rey . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41
SAN l-JLARINO
Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery . . . . . . . . . . 42
SANTA ANA
Charles W. Bowers Memorial Luseum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 43
SAN’I‘A BMKBARA
Mission Santa Barbara . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 43
Santa Barbara State College, Lincoln Library . . . . . . . . . . 44
y
|

 . _ vii —
Table of Contents Page
SOLVANG
Kission Banta Ynez . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44
STANFORD UNIVERSITY
Stanford University Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45
Stanford University Library, Borel Collection . . . . . . . . . 46
Stanford University, Branner Geological Library . . . . . . . . 47
Stanford University, Charlotte Ashley Felton
Memorial Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 48
Stanford University, Graduate School of Business Library . . . . 48
Hoover Library on War, Revolution, and Peace . . . . . . . . . . 49
:3 TO O KT 0 N
San Joaquin Pioneer Museum and Haggin Art Galleries . . . . . . 55
VENTURA
Mission San Buenaventura . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54 "
Venture Public Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55
YOSENITE NATIONAL PARK
Yosemite Museum . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55
GENERAL INDEX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 56
INDEX TO COLLECTIONS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 72
LIST OF SURVEY PUBLICATIONS . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 75
|
l

 GUIDE TO DEPOSITCRIES 0F MANUSCRIPT
COLLECTIONS IN CALIFORNIA

l. AECADIA——PONY EXPRESS EUSEUK. Owner, W. Parker Lyon. Hours:
9 to 5.

Mr. Lyon has collected Wells, Fargo and Company material and other
relics of the pony express days since 1905. Accessions are made by direct
purchase; few exchanges are made. The museum was moved from Pasadena to the
present location in 1934. The building is of frame construction; outside
dimensions are approximately 50 x 200 feet.

Holdings

The WELLS, FARGO and Company material comprises a large portion of the
holdings; it dates from 1800 and is considered the largest collection of the
records of this company. Other items include approximately 100 miscellane—
ous letters of the 1800's; a number of hotel registers, 1850—60; a justice
of the peace docket, ISCO; a number of mining company record books; old
prayer books.

There are approximately 200 items on exhibition.

The admission fee is 25 cents. Photostats are available at current
rates.

2. BERKELEY~—PACIEIC SCHOOL OF RELIGION, HOLBROOK MEMORIAL LIBRARY,
1798 Scenic Ave. Librarian, Stillson Judah. Hours: 8:45 to 6 Monday
through Friday; 9 to 12 Saturday.

The institution was founded in 1866, under the name of The Pacific
Theological Seminary, for the training of Congregational ministers and re-
ligious workers; in 19l2 it became nonsectarian, and in l916 the name was
changed to The Pacific School of Religion. It does not purchase manuscripts,
but accepts gifts and conditional deposits. The library is housed in the
holbrook Memorial Building, a three—story, fireproof, steel, concrete and
stone structure, erected in l926; outside dimensions are approximately 60 x
80 feet; space for manuscripts is adequate.

Holdings

Material relates principally to Congregational and Methodist churches

and ministers in early California: Minutes of church meetings; records of
_miosionary work among Chinese and Japanese on the Pacific Coast, 1850—1900;

diaries of early missionaries, including those of Isaac OWENS and William

TAYLOR; correspondence of ministers and missionaries of the Methodist Church; _
sketches of churches and districts in early California; letters of Dr. S. H.

WILLEY of California to the American Home Missionary Society in Boston, 1849—

55; record of Constitution and Bylaws of the University of the Pacific (now

College of the Pacific), 1851—54; cash accounts of University of the Pacific,

 _ 2 _

1854—55; Minutes of the meetings of trustees of the University of the
Pacific, 1851—54; Minutes of the Pacific School of Religion, 1866~—; account
books of the College of California (forerunner of the University of Cali-
fornia) prior to 1868; some records of the College Water Company of the

' College of California in the 1860's and 1870's. Other items include origi~
nals and MS. copies of proclamations and papers of the Spanish and Mexican
eras in California, with some documents relating to Commodore SLOAT, and
papers of John MUIR, naturalist.

The MUIR papers are arranged in 13 filing cases; other material com-

» prises about 24 linear feet, roughly arranged by author or subject; all
items are listed but not fully cataloged.

All material is accessible to properly qualified persons upon appli—
cation except the Muiriana, access to which must be by written permission
from the Muir estate, unless such material is on display. There is no
photostat service.

5. BERKEIEY~~ULIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LIBRARY. Librarian, Harold L.
Leupp. Hours: 8 to 10 Monday through Friday; 8 to 6 Saturday; 1 to 6
Sunday.

The general library of the university does not specialize in manu—
scripts, but welcomes accessions of this nature as part of its cultural
equipment. It is housed in the Charles Franklin Doe Library Building, a
four—story, concrete and granite building, completed in 1917. Space pro—
vided for manuscripts is adequate.

Hgldings

Hedieval items in English, Latin, Italian, Spanish, German, French,
Greek, and Hebrew; lndic items, including several palm—leaf books; MSS. of
California authors, including Francis Bret HARTE, Edwin MARKEAM, Edward
Rowland SILL, and George STERLING; musical compositions by Ernest BLOCH;
John FRYER‘S vocabularies (botanical, chemical, geological terms, etc.);

. collection of letters written to Richard GOLDSCHHIDT by many prominent
biologists of the last 60 years, including W. BATESON, Th. BOVERI,
O. BUTSCHLI, C. CORRENS, R. HERTWIG, W. ROUX, H. SPEHANN, and others, also
by prominent persons such as Henry GEORGE, Theodore HERZL, Carl du PEEL,
A. R. WALLACE, etc., 1,394 items; the Daniel Coit GIIMAN Collection, chiefly

' letters written to GILMAN during his presidency of the university, 1872—75,
26 items; Rebecca GODCHAUX Collection of autographs of noted Frenchmen, 80
items; letters from Empress JOSEPHINE to her daughter, ca. 1806—10, and other
autograph letters; 3 speeches of Sir Robert PEEL in the House of Commons,
1837—40; the William Henry SHYTH Collection, pertaining principally to Tech-
nocracy and including volumes of correspondence, notes, articles, etc.; ar—
chives of the University of California, 1855»—, including letters and papers

_ of Prof. Frederic Theodore BIOLETTI, which form a history of the development

of the viticulture department of the university, 6 letter files and several
packages; the Prof. George Holmes HOWISON correspondence with other edu-
cators; papers of Bernard MOSES, professor of history at the university and
afterwards U. S. diplomat; papers of President Benjamin lde WHEELER. '

Items are fully classified and cataloged by the Library of Congress
system.

I
l

 : - 3 -

Material is accessible to qualified scholars upon application to the
librarian. Photostat service is available and information regarding this is
to be found in the handbook for New Students, obtainable at the library.

Seg_Library of Congress, Manuscripts in Public and Private Collections,
(1924.). _

4. BLRKELEY~—UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BANCROFT LIBRARY, University
Library Building, 4th floor. Director, Herbert Ingram Priestley. Hours:

5 to 10 Monday through Friday; 8 to 6 Saturday; 1 to 5 Sunday; schedule
varies during intersession and vacation periods.

The original collection was founded by Hubert Howe Bancroft in 1860.

It was purchased by the University of California in 1907, and has since been
expanded by purchases, gifts, exchanges, and conditional deposits. The di—
rector writes: "Many thousands of pages of transcripts from the archives of
Spain and hexico have been acquired by the Bancroft Library through the in—
strumentality of the Native Sons Fellows in Pacific Coast History, who have
been maintained for twenty years or more by the Order of the Native Sons of
the Golden West . . . . Other large quantities of facsimiles have come to
us through collaboration of students and professors traveling on other
grants." The holdings pertain to the Pacific Slope from Alaska to Panama,
areas within the United States which formerly belonged to Spain, and Spanish
America in general. The library is housed in the fireproof University Li—
brary Building, completed in 1917.

igldings

California provincial and departmental archives; mission archives;
records of the great fur companies; letters and journals of fur traders; ar—
chives of families, such as the ALVARADO, BANDINI, CASTRO, DE IA GUERRA,
FSTUDILLO, AND PICO; hundreds of dictations, narratives and manuscript histo—

>ries of pioneers, relating to Mexico, California, Oregon, Washington,
British Columbia and Alaska; letters and chronicles by military participants
in the conquest of the Nahua and Maya countries, and by the padres who fol—

. lowed in the wake of conquest. Included are a pastoral letter (in Latin) by
Joannes de ZUMARRAGA, first bishop of Mexico; the Moralia S. GREGORII, a
Latin text of the 14th c.; Concilios Provinciales Mexicanos, the original
record of the proceedings of the first three ecclesiastic councils of Mexico,

> held in the 16th c., 4 vols.; DURAN'S Historia de_las Indias de_l§_Nu§3§

'Espana, in 5 Egatados, an account of the ancient history of the Indians,
their feasts and rites, 16th c.; Historia Apologetica_and Historia d§_las
Indies by LAS CASAS, champion of the oppreSSed natives; Qrpnica dg lg
12M: 9: £5; Bean 1 a- 1:89:19. 918. MW by BEAUMONT, 1522—75; letters
Of OEREZEDA to the Spanish king, 1589 and 1555, describing the state of
affairs in Nicaragua and Honduras; a collection of extracts from.MUNOZ, 1545—
55, relating to the history of Central America; Carta escrita al_Rey, by
- VELASCO, 1558, on the French inroads in Honduras; Relation by CORONADO, 1562,
describing conquests in Costa Rica; Memories de Mexico, a collection of
' documents on the history of Mexico City, withfparticular reference to the
foundation of her convents, dated 1618; Diario Curioso, by RIVIERA, a chroni—
cle of events in Mexico from 1676—96, withaaflpreface by the hand of ‘
BUSTAMANTE; copy of historia de la Conquista de la Nueva Galicia, Guadalajara,
1740, political and ecclesiastical'historyfzdrhkxico from the Spanish con— ’
' Quest to that date; Diario by GOMEZ of events from 1776—98; collection of
1' i
E E

 ’ "'97,!
, .. 4 ..
manuscripts of Carlos Maria BUSTAMANTE, relating the history of Mexico
1817—48; Ipstruccione§_by the Mexican viceroys LINARES, BRANCIFORTE and
Revilla GICEDO; Mexiggj Archiyg_gepe£al, a collection of curious biographies
of Mexican kings and martyrs; the original Codex FERNANDEZ lEAL; many other
original manuscripts of similar nature; numEEEEE copies of original journals
and papers in the archives and libraries of Seville and Madrid, in the .
Deposito Hidrografico, the MUNOZ Collection, and elsewhere, as Well as many
other original documents; Spanish and Mexican laws, poetry, 18th and 19th c.;
* aboriginal linguistic manuscripts; treatises on the origin of the Indians,
on logic, agriculture, and mining; translations of Latin classics; photo-
stats from the Matamoras and Saltillo archives; 300,000 pages of typed tran—
scripts from foreign archives; 200,000 pages microfilmed from manuscripts in
foreign archives. '
. Collection of papers read before the Berkeley Club; California Food
Administration papers, collected by Ralph MERRITT, 1917—18; Christopher
("Kit") CARSON letters; California Labor Notes, by Ira B. CROSS; California
Railroad Notes, by Stuart DAGGETT; FITCH family papers; FREMONT material,
collected by Allan NEVINS; writings of Andrew Jackson GRAYSON on the birds
of California and Northern Mexico; Guadalupe Mine documents; correSpondence
and papers on Sen. William.M. GWIN, 1857—85; papers of the Kaweah Colony,
1885—90; KENTFIEID papers; documents on the Mariposa mines, ca. 1900; Anne '
MARTIN Collection of documents on senatorial campaigns and woman suffrage;
the MEXIA family papers; records of the firm of MILLER and IUX, 1900-20;
records of the Panama Pacific International Exposition, l9l5; official
correspondence of Gov. George C. PARDEE, 1905—7; records of PIPER‘S Opera
House, Virginia City, Nevada; records of the San Francisco Customs House,
1849—70; collection of Adolph SUTRO papers, 1895, VAN NESS family papers;
correSpondence and papers of 001. J. L. L. WARREN, owner of the California
Farmer and founder of the California Agricultural Society; papers of Sen.
John D. WORKS, 1925.

There are 1,500 volumes and many thousands of unbound pieces in filing
cases, all of which are arranged by author, chronologically, or by subject.
An author index of 8,500 cards is maintained in the Bancroft Library.

Material is used exclusively for purposes of reference and research
under rules and regulations outlined in a leaflet issued by the library.
Microfilm service to competent researchers, with restrictions as to re—

. printing and observance of copyright, may be arranged through correspondence
with the director.

No separate guide to the manuscript holdings has been issued. The list
of authorities and bibliographical footnotes appearing in the works of
Hubert Howe Bancroft serve as a general guide.

5. CAMARILLO——ST. JOHN'S MAJOR SEMINARY, EDWARD LAURENCE DOHENY
MEMORIAL LIBRARY. Librarian, Rev. James W. Richardson, C. M. Hours: by

_ permission.

The seminary was formally opened in September 1959. The completed
library building, dedicated on October 14, 1940, is the gift of Mrs Edward Is '
Doheny, who also gave her personal collection of manuscripts, rare books and
first editions. The building is a three—story, class A, reinforced concrete
Structure, built in 1940; outside dimensions are 84 x 109 feet. The Estelle

i l
3 I

 . _ 5 _

Doheny Collection is housed in three rooms on the third floor; the lower

floors are used for the seminary library, auditorium, bindery, etc.
Holdings

The Estelle DOBENY Collection: Fifteen illuminated MSS., 12th c. to
l8th c., chiefly service books of the Roman Catholic church; approximately
475 letters and documents, 1490—1937, bearing such signatures as those of
William BLAKE, George BORROW, Thomas CARLYLE, Catherine de’MEDICI, CHARLES
II, Samuel L. CIENENS, James Fenimore COOPER, J. B. C. COROT, Charles
DICKENS, FERDINAND and ISABELLA, FRANCOIS I, FREDERICK II of Prussia, John
Charles FREMONT, John GALT, GEORGE II, GEORGE III, N. E. GLADSTONE,

Alexander HAMILTON, Francis Bret HARTE, HENRI III, Patrick HENRY, Henrik
IESEN, Henry JAMES, JOSEPHINE (Empress of France), Rudyard KIPLING, Marquis
de LAFAYETTE, Meriwether LEWIS, Jenny IIND, LOUIS XIV, IOUIS XV, MARIE

LOUISE (Empress of France), Felix MENDEISSOHN, Thomas MOORE, Napoleon
BONAPARTE, Cardinal NEWMAN, Edgar Allan POE, Pope PIUS VI, Jean Jacques
ROUSSEAU, Robert SCPEMANN, Fray Junipero SERRA, George Bernard SHAW,

Gen. W. T. SHERMAN, John A. SUTTER, Peter I. TSCHAIKOWSKY, Capt. George
VANCOUVER, Queen'VICTORIA, Richard WAGNER, Walt WHITMAN, WILHEIN II (Auto—
graph letters inserted in the imprints are not included in the manuscript .
collection); 65 literary MSS. (holograph and corrected typescript), 1852—
1932, of such authors as G. K. CHESTERTON, James Fenimore COOPER, Albert
EINSTEIN, Ralph Waldo EMERSON, Oliver Wendell HOLMES, Julia Ward HOWE,
Washington IRVING, Nenry JAMES, Henry Wadsworth LONGFELLOW, James Russell
IOWELIW George MOORE, George STERLING, Walt WHITMAN, John Grecnleaf WHITTIER,
William Butler'YEATS, etc.; a collection of 60 letters and documents with
signatures of the signers of the Declaration of Independence; a collection

of 76 letters and documents with signatures of the Presidents of the United
States and their wives; a collection of autograph letters of the Presidents
of the United States, Washington to Hoover, mounted and bound in 1 volume; a
collection of autographs of California Pioneers, l769—1848, comprising 1,650
autographs of l,l50 persons, with brief printed biographies, mounted on
ledger sheets and bound in 1 volume (the collection formed by Henry Lebbeus
OAK when he was librarian of the Bancroft Library, l869—87); an album of
autograph material formed by Charles A. RAYMOND, cashier of the Denver
-Tribune during the years 1875—1900, and consisting of original letters, manu—
scripts and signed photographs of literary and political celebrities of the
period, including an autograph letter of Edgar Allan POE to Bayard TAYLOR,
dated at New York, Nov. 20, 1848, and the original MS. of an "interview" with
Walt WHITMAN, written by himself during his visit to Denver.

The manuscripts, in specially made envelopes of heavy paper, are ar—
ranged alphabetically in a steel file; those bound are kept in the second—
floor vault. The items are cataloged under authors' names.

The material is accessible to qualified persons through written per—
mission of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Los Angeles or his delegate.

Egg Eric G. Millar, Catalogue of the Hegtern_manuscripts 9:_A, Chester
133%, Vol. I, No. 28; CatEI-fig-of—thca .Iiuth Library, Vol. IV, 13. 192;
Montague R. James, Catelogigrtgrthe~latinafianchripts in the John Rylands '
Library; Rollo G. STlver, "Whitman-Interviews NimEEIEEW—Amirican Literature,
V01. X, No. 1 (March 1928); Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts in the Estelle
Doheny Collection (Los Angelesrjfiififli--~‘y‘fl.“w“

l I
s l

 , — 6 —

6. ClAREhONT—-CLAREMONT COLLEGES LIBRARY, Harper Hall, Ninth Street at
College Avenue. Librarian, Willis H. Kerr. Hours: 8 to 9 Monday through
Friday; 8 to 5 Saturday.

The library is for the use of the graduate school of the Claremont
Colleges, and also serves as a central depository for the associated li-
braries of Pomona College and Scripps College, handling the buying and cata—
loging. It chiefly comprises reference, bibliographical and source material.
Its special field of interest is the marine history of the Pacific Coast.
Acquisitions are by gift. The library is housed in a two—story, fireproof
concrete building, constructed in 1931; outside dimensions are 120 x 200
feet; in addition to the library, the building contains administration
offices and classrooms.

holdings

The Marine History of the North Pacific Coast Collection, l900—ca. 1925,
comprises a majority of the records of 6 defunct steamship companies Whose
headquarters were at San Francisco and Seattle. The Special Collection of

. the Water Problems of Southern California and the Southwest, 1890