xt7qv97zpt9g https://exploreuk.uky.edu/dips/xt7qv97zpt9g/data/mets.xml New Hampshire Historical Records Survey Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration New Hampshire New Hampshire Historical Records Survey Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration 1941 [2], 80 l.: ill. 27 cm. UK holds archival copy for ASERL Collaborative Federal Depository Program libraries. Call Number: FW 4.14:N 42h/no.8/v.13 books  English Manchester, N.H.: The Survey  This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. New Hampshire Works Progress Administration Publications Greenland (N.H.: Town) -- Archival resources Public records -- New Hampshire -- Greenland (Town) Greenland (N.H.: Town) -- History -- Sources Inventory of the Town Archives of New Hampshire. No. 8, Rockingham County, vol. 13, Greenland, 1941 text Inventory of the Town Archives of New Hampshire. No. 8, Rockingham County, vol. 13, Greenland, 1941 1941 1941 2020 true xt7qv97zpt9g section xt7qv97zpt9g IIII II III IIIIII III IIII IIIIIII







Publication of this volume has been made
possible by a generous contribution from

the Town of Greenland.





NO. 8. Rockinghum County


Prepared Lv
The Now Hampshire Historical Records Survey

Div sion of Community Service Programs
Wbrk Projects Administrafiion

Sponsored by

The University of New Hampshire

Manchestor. New Hampshire
The New Hampshire Historical Records Survey
July 1941




Howard 0. Hunter. Commissioner

John J. McDonough, Regionai Direcror
James P. Qlixn, State Administrator

Division of Community Service Programs
Florence Ksrr, Assistant Commxssiune:

Robert Y. Phillips, Chief Regional Supervisor
mary H. Heafi, State Director

Research and Records Section
Harvey E. Beoknell, Director

Robert Y. Phillips, Regional Supervisor
Richard G. Wbod, state Superviscr

Historical Records Survey .

Sargent B. Child, National Director
Frank N. Jordan, State Supervisor






7‘ .


“9-,“: mafia: ~_: v



. 1
cl .
. y










The Inventory 2f the Town Archives 2: New Hampshire is one of a number
of guides to historical materials prepared throughout the United States by
workers on the Historical Records Survey program of the Wbrk Projects Admin-
istration. The publication herewith presented, an inventory of the archives
of the town of Greenland, is number XIII of the Rockingham County series of

The Historical Records Survey program was undertaken in the winter of
1935-36 for the purpose of providing useful employment to needy unemployed
historians, lawyers, teachers, and research and clerical workers. In carry-
ing out this objective, the project was organized to compile inventories of
historical materials, particularly the unpublished government documents and
records which are basic in the administration of local government, and which
provide invaluable data for students of political, economic, and social
history. The archival guide herewith presented is intended to meet the re-
quirements of day-to—day administration by the officials of the county, and
also the needs of lawyers. businessmen and other citizens who require facts
from the public records for the proper conduct of their affairs. The volume
is so designed that it can be used by the historian in his research in un-
printed sources in the same way he uses the library card catalog for printed

The inventories produced by the Historical Records Survey program at~
tempt to do more than give merely a list of records-—they attempt further to
sketch in the historical background of the county or other unit of government,
and to describe precisely and in detail the organization and functions of the
government agencies whose records they list. The county, town, and other
local inventories for the entire country will, when completed, constitute an
encyclopedia of local government as well as a bibliography of local archives.

The successful conclusion of the Work of the Historical Records SurVey
program, even in a single county, would not be possible without the support
of public officials, historical and legal specialists, and many other groups
in the community. Their cooperation is gratefully acknowledged.

The Survey program was organized by Luther H. Evans, who served as
Director until march l, l9h0, when he was succeeded by Sargent B. Child, who
had been National Field Supervisor since the inauguration of the Survey. The
Survey program operates as a Nation-wide series of locally sponsored projects
in the Division of Professional and Service Projects, of which Mrs. Florence
Kerr, Assistant Commissioner, is in charge.




 P R E F A C E

By authority of a Presidential Letter, the Historical Records Survey
was initiated in January 1936 as a Nationawide undertaking of the work
Projects Administration, but did not begin operations in New Hampshire un-
til April 7. Prior to August 31, 1939, the Survey was Federally sponsored,
but since that date it has been a local project sponsored by the University
of New Hampshire. Until March 1940, this project was directed by Dr.
Richard G. wood. At that time Dr. wood became State Supervisor of Research
and Records Projects, and the present State Supervisor was appointed.

The purpose of the Survey is to make accessible to public officials,
lawyers, historians and students of government the records of State, county
and municipal offices. In addition, church records, including those of
defunct organizations, are being inventoried so that a foundation may be
laid for research in this field of social history. The present volume is
the eighth in a series of inventories concerning town archives of New
Hampshire. A key volume, Town Government 2g New Hampshire, and a volume
entitled Guide 32 Depositories 2: Manuscript Collections in the United
States - New Hampshire have recently been published. Five volumes of
county archives and one volume on church records have also been issued.
For a complete record of these published works of the Survey in New Hamp—
shire, gee List of Publications on page 71.

In addition to listing the records of the different town officers,
the inventory sketches briefly the historical background of the town of
Greenland and describes the organization of the offices whose records are
listed. The essays on the individual offices present only material re-
lating specifically to Greenland. For a history of the legal background
of each office, and its State—wide implication, it is necessary to consult
the key volume mentioned in the preceding paragraph. Records are described
in entries whose style is formalized to give the following information:
Title of record, dates for which available, quantity, labeling of volumes
or containers, information on missing and discontinued records, variant
titles, description of record contents. manner of arrangement, indexing,
nature of recording, size of volumes or containers, and location.

The listing of the Greenland records was completed by Joseph A. O'Brien
and Harry Gelman. The recheck was completed by Herbert E. Brown and Arthur
L. Bergeron. The forms were edited and the entries written by Samuel T.
Bakus, The essays in this publication Were written by Bernice ML Newell.
The editorial work was done by Gordon F. Palmer, State editor. The legal
research which forms the basis for the essays, and the preparation of the
index was conducted under the direction of Beatrice B. Calnan. Documenta—
tion was checked by Beatrice B. Calnan and Bessie ML Ryan. The maps,
charts, and cover design were drawn by Edward F. Tile, project artist. The
stencils were cut by Alice A. Tclge and the mimeographing was done by Rita
E. Duffley under the direction of Marcellcne O'Connor. Helpful criticism
of this inventory in manuscript form was offered by Mhbel S. Brodie, Editor


in charge of public records inventories, of the Central office.

The Survey wishes to express its appreciation for the cooperation
given and the courtesy shown to its workers by the Greenland officials and
to the women's Alliance of Federated Churches for the use of their club—
room where much of the field work was done. The Survey is also indebted
to the Secretary of State, the Manchester City Library, and the New Hamp-
shire State Library for facilities granted the Survey in its research work.
Labor funds have been furnished by the Wbrk Projects Administration. The
Survey wishes to acknowledge the contributions of the county of Hillsbor-
ough, the city of Manchester, and other cities and towns throughout the
State towards non—labor expenses.

The inventory of the archives of the towns of Rockingham County is
number 8 of the New Hampshire series. The Greenland inventory is volume
XIII of the Rockingham series.

Copies of the inventory will be distributed to government agencies,
colleges, the University, and to libraries in New Hampshire and outside
the State. Requests for information concerning the published volumes
should be addressed to the State Supervisor, Administration Building,
Lincoln and Silver Streets, Manchester, New Hampshire.

Frank N. Jordan

State Supervisor

New Hampshire

Historical Records Survey

Manchester, New Hampshire
July 1941


 - 1 -








A. Town of Greenland and its Records System

1. Historical Sketch 3
Population Graph .mm-15
Greenland in 1806, Based on map by Phinehas Merrill mmmmwmlé
Map of Present Day Greenland l7
Greenland in Relation to Rest of the State ................................................................ 18
2. Governmental Organization and Records System .................................................................. 19
Chart of Greenland Officers, l7u9 23
Chart of Greenland Officers, 1850 24
Chart of PreSent Day Greenland Town Officers ................................................... 25

Present Day Chart of Town Officers Elected at Biennial
November Election and School Officers ....................................................................... 26
3. Housing, Care, and Accessibility of the Records .............................................................. 27
Recommendations 29
4. Abbreviations, Symbols, and Explanatory NotesWHWWmemwmmwwwwwm 29

B. Town Offices and their Records

1. Town Clerk 32


Family Records. warrants and Minutes. Vital Statistics.
Taxation. Finance. Licenses. Permits. Mortgages, Con-
ditional Sales. Miscellaneous.















II. Selectmen 41
“' Town Reports. Finance. Taxation. Miscellaneous.
III. Budget Committee ......... 48
, IV. Assessors. 49
‘ V. Tax Collector ' . 49
warrants and Collections. Tax Sales. Redemptions.
Reports. Receipts and Payments.
VI. Treasurer. .m MW. 51
Receipts and Payments. Reports. Orders, Bank Statements.
VII. Auditors 52
VIII. Trustees of Trust (Public) Funds. 52
IX. Cemetery Trustees 53
X. Surplus Revenue Agent 53
, XI. Moderator ,NH 53
; XII. Supervisors of the Check—list 54
, XIII. Election Inspectors 54
X XIV. School District 54
A, . . District and Board Minutes. Finance. Census.
;. Correspondence.
:. XV. Supervisory Union 57
‘ XVI. Library Trustees 58


:' Minutes. Finance. Library.
" XVII. Superintendent of Town Farm 59


 Table of Contents






















Health Officervc 60
Highway Agents, Read Agents, Highway Surveyors ................................................................ 60
Tree warden .Mn . ”61
Police, Constables, Jail Keeper ................. 61
Legal Agent (Attorney), Committee to Carry on Law Suits MMMWWMW62
Liquor Agent, Enforcement Agent " 62
Forest Fire warden .m63
Planning Board .................... “63
Public WeighermWw 64
Sealer of weights and Measures 54
Sealer of Leatherwwm 64
Lumber Officers ' .......... .64
Hogreeves, Hog Constables, Hawards, Field Drivers.wwwmmmMmewwm66
Fish and Game warden 66
Deerkeepers ........ 66
Fence Viewers .................. 67
Sextonum“ 67
Tythingmen 6?
Janitornnwm 67
Appendix ................................ 68
Bibliography 70
New Hampshire Historical Records Survey Publications .......................................... 71
Subject Index to Inventory,“ 72


 (First entry, p. 32)


The name Greenland appeared as early as the 1650’s in reference to a farm
owned by Francis Champernown and located on Great Bay within the bounds of
Portsmouth. This farm was conveyed in 1657 by Champernown to Valentine Hill.1

In may 17Q5 three men "on behalfe of themselves and the Inhabitants of
Greenland, belonging to the Town/of Portsmouth" petitioned to the Governor to
have a minister and schoolmaster of their own.2 This petition, referred to
the seleotmen of Portsmouth, resulted the following month (June 1705) in a
vote by that town to pay Greenland its proportion of the 100 pounds devoted
yearly to support a minister.3

The vote of June 1705 did not mention the matter of schools, but in April
of the following year Portsmouth voted that the inhabitants of Greenland might

have one hundred and fifty accers of Land out of ye Commons Lying
and being at Greenland bounded To ye sow west End of ye great
swamp and ye sd one hundred and fifty accrs to be tacken out or
deducted from what may fall to tho Inhabitanse of Greenland of 5d
Comons when ever ther shall be A division of all ye towens Comons
ye 3d 150 assets to be Laid out by y6 Lote Layers when it may be
most convenient for ye Ministry and $0001 for the youse of that
part of ye towen.4

It was not until 1721 that Greenland secured the right to pay its Province
rates separately from the parent town of Portsmouth, and it was not until 1732
that Greenland was represented in the Assembly.5 The Town Meeting Books do not
begin until 1749. '

The first settled minister in Greenland was the Reverend William Allen
who was grdained on July 15, 1707, four years after his graduation from Harvard
College. In 1756 Reverend Samuel McClintock was called to perform the duties
of an associate pastor. Mr. Allen died in 1760 and the pastorate was left in
the exclusive charge of Mr. MoClintock.7

The support of the minister was a town obligation in the early days, and
Greenland passed many votes in this connection. A few of these may well be
cited to indicate their general nature.

In 1750 Reverend Mr. Allen was voted "Three hundred and fifty pounds
money Old tenor as the currency was in September 1749 and that he shall have


1. M. 0. Hall, Rambles About Greenland * * *, pp. 74, 79, 80.

2. New Hampshire State Papers, 9:320.

3. State's Copy of Portsmouth Records (photostatic copy), vol. 2. p. 33 (1705)c

4’. Ibid.. p. 34 (1706).

5. New Hampshire State Papers, 12:64, 66, 67; Laws 2: New Hampshire, 2:354

6- Hall. 22o 9332-. pp. 95. 214.

7. Ibid.. p. 214; [State's Copy of] Greenland Town Records, (hereinafter
cited as State's copy), v01. 1, pp. 13, 14, 16, 17 (1756), fig entry 2.


Historical Sketch (First entry, 9. 32)

Six Sheep and their lambs pastured * * *.Nl . _
When ReVerend Mr. McClintcck was summoned to act as a colleague with mr.
Allen the following votes were adopted:

Votted to give him Seven hundred pounds Old tennor * * *
this time if he preach the Gospel for us during Mr Allens life
and no other priviledges-—till after Mr Allens decease.

Votted after Mr Allens decease to give him tWenty Cord of
wood and the improvement of the lower parsonage:

Votted to hyre him a house till we are able to build him
a Parsonage house.2

The year after Mr. Allen's death it was voted that Mr. McClintock should
"have the Orchard & Land adjoyning to the Parsonage House During his Ministry,
he making the fence."3 In 1762 it was voted to give Mr. McClintock "Poles
for his inner fence."4

It was voted in 1764 to give Mr. McClintock 600 pounds. old tenor, in
addition to his regular salary for that year,5 After Mr. McClintcck's death,
it was

Voted To give the Widow Elizabeth Neoclintcck the original

Salary of two hundred and tWenty two Dollars and twenty two Cents,

two thirds the usual quantity of wood with the improvement of the

parsonage Buildings and that tract of Land called the lower par-

sonage for the present Year.6

This early church, like so many of the town churches in New Hampshire,
was Congregational in denomination. A distinguishing feature was the long
service of its ministers. Mr. Allen served 53 years; Mr. McClintock, 48
years; and one of their successors, Dr. Edward Robie, 65 years.

Methodism was introduced in Greenland in 1808 through the preaching of
the Reverend George Pickering who organized a church of 50 members.9 The
Baptist faith had appeared at least by 1809, when the town voted "that the
Congregationalist occupy the meeting house one.half the time and the metho—
dist and Baptist the other half."10 The following year it was voted “that.
the Congregationalist occupy the Meeting house the first 3 months, the
Methodist and Baptist the second 3 months——the Congregationalist the third
3 months-—and the Methodist and Baptist the last 3 months of the ensuing
year."11 In 1811 it was voted "that the Meeting house be occupied by the
different Socities similar to the year past only having respect to Valuation
of Taxes as to the time each Socitiey shall occupy the same."12


1. State‘s Copy, vol. 1. p. 6 (1750), E23 entry 2‘
2. Ibid.. p. 16 (.1756).

3. 3:21-20) P0 3.5 (1-761).

4- Lbiéo' Po 39 (1762).

5. _I____.bid-o Po ML (1764)-

6. Ibidn P. 303 (1804) [1805?].

7. Hall. 92. Eli-Ea. PI 214.

8. Inscription on tablet at church. See also Hall, 22.‘git., pp. 214-220.
9- Hall, 9.2. Lid-20’ P. 201'

10. State's Copy, vol. 1, p. 326 (1809), 222 entry 2.
11. Ibid., p. 329 (1810).

12. Ibido. Do 334 (1811).


 - 5 -
Historical Sketch (First entry, 9. 32)

When the Reverend Ephraim Abbot was summoned to the Congregational
pastorate in 1813, the town passed a vote which apparently gave the Congre-
gationalists the exclusive right to occupy the meeting-house during Mr.
Abbot's ministry.1 Soon afterward the town took a step toward helping the
other societiestopwocunaaflweting-house of their own by voting "that the
Methodist and Baptist Socities have liberty to cut them a fraim for a Meet-
ing house off the uper Parsonage." "2 In 1815 a vote was passed "not to erect
the Methodist Meeting on the old Meeting hill (so called)."3 Whether this
rescinded the prior vote, or merely had to do with the location of the con-
templated building is difficult to say. At the same time it was voted "To
give the Methodist & Baptist societies their priviliges in the parsonages to
be taken out of the upcr Parsonage." "4 A subscribers’ agreement for erecting
a Methodist and Baptist meeting-house is recorded in the town minutes the same
year. The statement is made that the church was also built that year,6 but
it was probably only roughly completed, since the town voted four years later
”that the Methodist Society have hemlock logs from the uper parsonage for
lathing their meeting house."7 This building was moved across the street in
1836 and was burned shortly afterward. The present building was built the
following year.8

The subscribers' agreement of 1815 contained the last mention of the
Baptists found in the Town Meeting Books, and it is probable that the career
of this denomination in Greenland was of short duration.

‘ The Methodist and Congregational denominations continued as separate
entities until 1922 when they formed a federated church, which has continued
to the present day. The winter services are held in the Methodist Church of
1837 and the summer services are held in the Congregational Church of 1756.9

The first reference to a school in Greenland. dates back to the time when
Greenland was still a part of Portsmouth. At a Portsmouth town meeting of
1702 it was voted "That five pounds yearly be given for the Incoridgment of
a Scooll at Greenland.“10

It has already been shown that Greenland petitioned in 170511 for a
schoolmaster of its own, and that Portsmouth passed a vote in 1706, relating
to the use of land from the commons for school purposes in Greenland.12

In 1756 Greenland voted that "the School house be moved near to where
the Old meeting house now stands."13 Another vote for moving the school
house was passed in 1764-14 It appears that school sessions were regularly
shifted about at times, since there was a while when it was voted periodically


l. State's Copy, vol. 1, pp. 345, 346 (1813), see entry 2.

2. 1bid., p. 356 (1811).

30 Ibldoy PO 359 (181.5).

11. Ibids

5. Ibidu. Po 366 (1815).

6. Hall, _0_Eq __93£.. pg 201' V

7. State‘s Copy, vol. 1, p. 376 (1819), 322 entry 2.

80 Hall, 22. SIS-Eb... ., I). 20.1.

9. Information obtained from Mrs. Carrie Beck, former church clerk, April 29,
1941, by Herbert E. Brown.

10. State's Cepy of Portsmouth Records (photostatic copy), vol. 2, p, 26 (1702’

11. New Hampshire State Papers, 9:320 (1705).

12. State's Copy of Portsmouth Records (photostatic copy), vol. 2, p. 34 (1706}

13. State's Copy, vol. 1, p. 15 (1756), 323 entry 2.

1“. Effigy: PO 4# (1764).




. _ 6 _
Historical Sketch (First entry, p. 32)

that the school should be mOVed to the Buy Side during certain months.1

In 1767 it was voted that a new school house should be built "By the
Buring Yeard" and that the old building should be sold and moved.2 It was
proposed in 1772 that the town should "maintain two School this year, a
reading & writing School three months at the South part of the Town & three
Months at the Bay-Side & a grammar School in the Centre * * *." The voters
rejected the proposal, and voted instead to "have but one School."3

A vote of 1781 recompensed Clement weeks to the amount of $20 for keep-
ing school "two Months from Novemr 1779 to Janry 1780."4‘ In 1782 it was

voted that school be kept the whole year in the center of the town.
In 1787 it was

Voted the school shall be kept at the Center their pro-
portionable part of the time from this date.

Voted The school shall be mooved to the Bayside after the
time is expired at the Center.

Voted The school shall be moved to the rode geading to
Hampton after the time is expired at the Bayside.

In 1793 it was voted "to Build a School hous at the South part of the
Town: and likewis to pay the Proprietors of the Schoolhouse at the west part
of the Town for theirs."7 A family that had moved in from PortSmouth was
permitted, by a vote of 1798, to Send their children to school in Greenland.8

Three school districts were established in 1807; the number was reduced
to two in 1808, the Winnicut River to be the dividing line.9

At some time prior to 1650 the town must have reverted to the system of
three districts. since in that year it was voted "that all the money received
raised appropriated shall be equally devidcd among the three schocldistriotsw10
Three years later it was voted that all money "arriving for’schooling be
equealy divided between the three school districts.”1 In accordance with
a State 1aW'12 Greenland became a single school district in 1885. As such it?
is new a member of Supervisory Union No. 16.13

Brackott Academy was incorporated by an act of the Legislature in 182h
when twolve men "and their successors together with the Principle Instructer"
Were made a body politic to be known as the Trustees of the Brackett Academy
in Greenland. It was stipulated that the majority of the trustees should not'
be residents of Greenland.14 A building was erected between this time and


l. State's Copy, vol. 1, p. 37 (1760), gt passim 1761-1766, £22 entry 2.

2. Ibldo, P. 51 (1767).

3‘ 1219.! P. 74 (1772).

he Ibldc, PP. Ill—12.. ILLS (1781).

5. Ibid., p. 151 (1782).

60 Ibidog Pa 185 (1787).

7. Ibid., p. 223 (1793).

8. gbid., p. 263 (1798).

90 Ibido. PP. 318, 319 (1807)” Pa 321 (1808).

10.[Icwn Meeting Books], (hereinafter cited as T. M. B.), vol. 3, p. 11 (1850),
E22 entry 3.

11. Ibido’ P. 65 (1853).

12. See ESE Hampshire Laws 23 1885, ch. 43. “

13. New Hampshire State Board of Educatigp Directory * * * l9hO-l9gl, p. 5.

la. Laws 2; cw Hampshire. 9:33; (1824).




,—- 7.."
Historical Sketch (First entry, p. 32)

the first meeting of the trustees held in August 1826. The academy's bene—
factor, George Brackett, gave property and money eguivalent to $2000 and this,
in addition to a like sum contributed by other interested persons, was used

to found the academy.1 Mr. Brackett terminated a description of his gift as

Though goodness without knowledge is-woak and feeble, yct knowl~
edge without goodness is dangerous, and * * * both together form
the noblest character and lay the surest foundation of usefulness
to mankind.2 I

Reverend Ephraim Abbott,.the president of the board of trustees, was the first
principal. He resigned both offices in 1829.3 The funds became exhausted
during the next two years and the building was rented to any competent tea ch—
ers with satisfactory references who applied to the trustees.4

There were several teachers who conducted the school under these con»
ditions, but in 1854 the town set forth the terms under which it would con-
tract with the trustees for the use of Brackctt Academy for schools and for a
town hall. The town stipulated that it must not be subjected to any material
expense aside from that of keeping the building and grounds in repair.5 AP-
parently a contract was made, for in 1862 it was resolved that the town de-
sired the selectmen to take charge of the building "with power to rent the
same * * *",6 and in 1873 the town voted to establish a high school in the
building with the town constituting a high school district. Three men were
chosen temporarily to perform the duties of high school and prudential com-
mittees. It was also voted that $500 be raised by taxation, in addition to
meney raised by tuitions. to maintain the high school.7 There is no evidence,
however, that the provisions of this vote were actually carried out at that '

In 1876 the legislature amended the act incorporating Brackett Academy.
This amendment removed the prohibition against the majority of the trustees
being residents of Greenland. In fact, the entire membership might be
chosen from local residents. The amendment further authorized the trustees
to convey to the town the real estate belonging to the academy.8 Shortly
afterward, the trustees held a meeting, accepted the amending act, and filled
the vacancies in their board by electing eight new trustees who had been nom-
inated by the town at the request of the trustees already in office. The
reorganized trustees voted to offer a long lea.se on the building for town
and school purposes providing the town would refit it, keep it in repair, and
pay the insurance. It was also stipulated that the town uses must in no way
interfere with the keeping of the school.9


1. Hall, 21-29 iii. 9 Pg. 143,; I

2. Ibido. Po 111-7.

30 M‘! P. 14.4..

4. Charles A. Hazletu, History of Rockingham County, p. 432.
5. T. M. B... vol. 3. p. 91 (1854), _s___ee entry3.

6. Ibid., p. 247 (1862).

7. Ibid., p. not numbered (1873).

8. New Hampshire Laws pf 1876, ch. 142.

90 Hall. £22. 9—42., P, 148.



Historical Sketch (First entry, p. 32)

At the annual town meeting of 1877 it was voted "to raise 1650 dollars
by town note, in addition to the 500 dollars now raised to enable [a committee]
to fit up said building for a Town Hall and other purposes agreeable to plans '
drawn up and estimates made for this object."1

Representatives of the town conferred with the trustees concerning the
transfer of the property to the town and a lease was drawn up.2 The following~
year tge building was repaired, new supports placed under it, and a new stage

In 1884 the vote of 1873 regarding the establishment of a high school
was repeated and a vote was passed to "create a High School district." A vote
was also passed to raise $200 annually, and to appropriate $100 from the
regular school money, to support the school. The school committee was to grade
the district school pupils for admission.4

In 1900 the Academy building was used for a high school and a town hall,
and it contained a selectmen's roonu5 In 1903 the town gave authority to the
school district to erect school buildings on the academy lot and to make any
necessary changes in the "present building for school purposes." The buildings
and lot were to be used "as far as may be necessary without interfering with
the present uses of the town hall by the town or the citizens."6 The old
Academy building was burned December 16, 1919. A new building was erected
soon afterward.7 It is used as a town hall and for grade schools. Greenland
no longer has a high school, but pays the tuition of Greenland students at~
tending Portsmouth High School.

The first library in Greenland was a social library incorporated December
24, 1799. The Reverend Samuel McClintock, Clement March, Thomas Marston,
Joshua weeks, Joshua Brackett, Enoch Clark, Thomas Berry, Isaiah Berry,
Shadrack Robinson, Enoch M. Clark, Samuel Hatch, Thomas Philbrook, and their
associates were incorporated as the proprietors.8 What became of this library
has not been ascertained. I

The first step toward establishing a town library occurred in 1893 when
the town voted to raise $25 annually for the use and maintenance of a free
public library in order that it might be entitled to receive a gift of books
worth $100 from the State. At the same town meeting it was voted that the
school board should act as library trustees.9 The matter was held in abeyance,
however, until 1896 when arrangements for opening a library were made and the
town actually received its books from the State. Before the appropriations
were complete, funds for a library building'were donated by Miss Caroline A.
Wbeks.lo In 1897 the town appropriated $100, and the building was constructed
_that year.11


1. T. M. B., vol. 4, p. 88 (1877), £23 entry 3.

2. Hall. 9gp 923,. pp. 105, 110.

3. T. M. B., vol. 4, p. 133 (1878), see entry 3.

[La Ibidp, p. 357 (1884.).

5. Hall, 2.2. Q20. 13. 111.6.

6. T. M. B., vol._5, p. 255 (1903), see entry 3.

7. Information obtained from Clarence E. Gowen, selectman, May 14, 1941, by
Herbert E. Brown.

8. Laws 23 NEH Hampshigg, 6:596, 597 (1799).

9. T. M. 13., vol. 5. p. 83 (1893), p33 entry 3.

10. New Hampshire State Library Reports, 190471906, pp. 417, 418.

11. T. M. B., vol. 5, p. 148 (1897), 233 entry 3.


 - 9 -
Historical Sketch (First entry. p.- 32)

The next year the town passed a resolution accepting Miss weeks’ gift
and expressing its thanks for the same.' It voted to raise annually the sum
of $150 in addition to that required by law for the maintenance of the li-
brary, the purchase of books, the salary of the librarian, and the heating
and lighting of the building.1 The dedication of the building occurred May
19, 1898,2 The year after the dedication the trustees reported the possession
of 1528 books. These were classified as follows: fiction, 938; religious,
scientific, and miscellaneous, 324; history, 140; biography, 78; travel, 48.
The library received a legacy of $500 from Thomas P. Salter in 190 .u This
library receives, from trust funds, an annual.income of about $70.

A bronze tablet in the vestibule contains the following inscription:

M A R Y T. W E E K S
J. C L E M E H T W E E K S

Pressed bricks, with marble trimmings and granite underpinnings, were
used in the construction of the building. Its architectural style is Colonial,
with pilasters of Corinthian order.

As early as 1774 Greenland realized the importance of the impending con-
flict with Great Britain. In July of that year two delegates were appointed
to the Provincial Congrezs in Exeter where delegates to the Continental Con-
gress were to be chosen. It is apparent that the men of the town regarded
seriously the necessity for organization and training, since fifty-six of
them met the following year on June 25 and subscribed as follows:

1. T. M. B., vol. 5, p. 167 (1898), 522 entry 3.