xt7sf766515x https://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt7sf766515x/data/mets.xml https://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt7sf766515x/data/2005av005.dao.xml Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation. 19601974 1.0 Cubic feet 4 boxes, 394 items The Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture consists of the photographic records created by The Bluegrass Trust for Historic Preservation of houses under consideration for their advocacy during the 1960 to 1974 period. collections English University of Kentucky This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed.  Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically.  Physical rights are retained by the owning repository.  Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws.  For information about permissions to reproduce or publish, contact the Special Collections Research Center. Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture Historic buildings--Kentucky--Lexington. Historic preservation--Kentucky. Residential architecture Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture text Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture 1960 2012 true xt7sf766515x collection true 2005av005 
     
         2005av005 
         
             
                 Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture, 1960-1974
                     2005av005 
                 
                 Finding aid prepared by Jason Flahardy 
             
             
                 
                     
                 
                 University of Kentucky Special Collections 
                 
                     Special Collections 
                     Margaret I. King Building, North 
                     Lexington, KY, 40506-0039 
                     (859) 257-8611 
                     SCLREF@LSV.UKY.EDU 
                 
                 2012 September 18 
             
         
         
             This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit
                 2012-09-18T14:28-0400 
             
             Describing Archives: A Content Standard 
         
     
     
         
             Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture 
             2005av005 
             
                 University of Kentucky Special Collections 
             
             
                 
             
             1 
             
                 1.0 Cubic feet 
                 4 boxes, 394 items 
             
             1960-1974 
             The Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture consists of the photographic records created by The Bluegrass Trust for Historic Preservation of houses under consideration for their advocacy during the 1960 to 1974 period. 
             
                 Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation. 
             
         
         
             Conditions Governing Access note 
             Collection is open to researchers by appointment 
         
         
             Historical Note 
             The Bluegrass Trust for Historic Preservation was founded in 1955 as a not-for-profit advocate for Lexington, Kentucky and the surrounding counties that comprise Central Kentucky. It is the fourteenth oldest preservation organization in the United States of America. Bluegrass Trust raises funds for the purchase and restoration of historic houses, among them, The Hunt-Morgan House, Dudley House, Henry Clay’s Law Office, and the Mary Todd Lincoln House. Bluegrass Trust also coordinates a plaque program for the identification of structures of historic interest in Lexington and Central Kentucky. The plaques bear a stylized “BGT” logo, which is also a common abbreviation for the organization. http://bluegrasstrust.org/ 
         
         
             Conditions Governing Use note 
             Material in this collection is on deposit from the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation. Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky, but UK may grant permission for reproduction and use at its discretion. 
         
         
             Scope and Contents note 
             The Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture consists of 395 gelatin silver prints of residences and structures, 1960-1974, related to the activities of the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation; most are images of houses in Lexington/Fayette County Kentucky and identified by address. 
         
         
             Preferred Citation note 
             2003av005: [identification of item], Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture, University of Kentucky Special Collections. 
         
         
             Murray-Wooley, Carolyn 
             Historic buildings--Kentucky--Lexington. 
             Historic preservation--Kentucky. 
             Photographs 
             Residential architecture 
         
         
             
                 
                     East 2nd [Second] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         115 East 2nd [Second] street. Built by Matthew Kennedy for Hanna Baxter in 1831, sold to George H. Hancock March 11, 1861 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         1 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         121 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1817 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         2 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         124 East 2nd [Second] street. Kennedy-Brand house built in 1813 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         3 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         135 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1838 by Thomas K. Layton. House was sold by Layton's heirs in 1963 to Sarah Aubrey. Bought by Thomas P. Dudley in 1869. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         4 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         145 East 2nd [Second] street. Built by John W. Patterson in 1843 and bought by William "King" Solomon January 18, 1860. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         5 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         151 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in the 1840's, owned by Smith Burton and Harry Miller. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         6 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         155 East 2nd [Second] Street. Built before 1818 by Kennedy and Brand. Owned by David A. Sayre and Stephen G. Sharp. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         7 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         158 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1828 by John Wirt. In 1866 his heirs sold the house to Moses Spencer. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         8 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         220 East 2nd [Second] street. Antebellum house built before 1855. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         9 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         224 East 2nd [Second] street. Antebellum house built before 1855. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         10 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         230 East 2nd [Second] street. Thomas Brady house built in 1838. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         11 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     West 2nd [Second] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps view from street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         12 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps and column detail. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         13 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps and column detail. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         14 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         201-203 West 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1812 by Samuel Long, owned by Charles Wilkins. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         15 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         211 West 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1814 also the rear portion of the Bodley house. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         16 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         226 West 2nd [Second] street. The Robert Wickliffe house, built around 1841. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         17 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         320 West 2nd [Second] street, view from street. Built either in the late 1700's for Colonel Thomas Hart or in the early 1800's for David Dodge. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         18 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         320 West 2nd [Second] street, side view. Built either in the late 1700's for Colonel Thomas Hart or in the early 1800's for David Dodge. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         19 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         331 West 2nd [Second] street. Owned by Emma Ford Walker. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         20 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         437 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for Thomas January in the early 1800's. Became the Episcopal Theological Seminary in 1834 and was remodelled by John McMurtry in 1849. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         21 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         454 West 2nd [Second] street. Remodeled in late 19th century. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         22 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         457 West 2nd [Second] street. Designed and built by John McMurtry. Not antebellum. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         23 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         461 West 2nd [Second] street, close left side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         24 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         461 West 2nd [Second] street, distant right side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         25 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         461 West 2nd [Second] street, distant left side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         26 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         461 West 2nd [Second] street, front view from street. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         27 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         468 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for William R. Davis in 1846. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         28 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         471 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for Richard Pindell in 1839. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         29 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     East 3rd [Third] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         100 East 3rd [Third] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         30 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         114 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by Joseph T. Sutton after 1841, sold to Jacob White in 1843. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         31 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         118 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for William S. Keiser in 1841, sold to John Prather in 1844. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         32 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         120 East 3rd [Third] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         33 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         122 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Jacob Uttinger in 1839. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         34 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         126 East 3rd [Third] street, view from right side. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         35 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         126 East 3rd [Third] street, view from left side. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         36 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         126 East 3rd [Third] street, front view. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         37 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         138 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by and for Frederick Bush in 1847. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         38 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         140 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by Evan Lilly for William B. Emmal in 1844 or 1845. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         39 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         146 East 3rd [Third] street, distant right side view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         40 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         146 East 3rd [Third] street, left side view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         41 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         146 East 3rd [Third] street, close right side view . Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         42 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         146 East 3rd [Third] street, front view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         43 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         147 East 3rd [Third] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         44 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         218 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Augustus Barley in 1848, sold to Caleb F. Lilly in 1850. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         45 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         234-236 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Rebecca Spiller in 1845. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         46 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         242 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for James Sullivan in 1840. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         47 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         252-254 East 3rd [Third] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         48 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     West 3rd [Third] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         301 West 3rd [Third] street. Morrison Hall. Built 1830-34 by Gideon Shyrock. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         49 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         West 3rd [Third] street. Log cabin built by Colonel Robert Patterson around 1780. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         50 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         304 West 3rd [Third] street. Built for Caleb Ford in 1841. Originally faced Mill Street, but was enlarged and remodeled to face 3rd street in 1895 for Mrs. J. Hull Davidson. Transylvania College president Burris Jenkins lived there from 1901-06. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         51 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         318 West 3rd [Third] street. Moved to this location and enlarged for Henry Cassell in 1817. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         52 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         322 West 3rd [Third] street. Built for Thomas January by Luther Stevens and Hallet M. Winslow around 1817. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         53 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         553 West 3rd [Third] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         54 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     East 4th [Fourth] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         119 East 4th [Fourth] street. Purchased by Robert McNitt in 1814. Remodeled into a double house for Francisco Wolf after 1870. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         55 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         149 East 4th [Fourth] street. Built for Hugh Carlan in 1814. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         56 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         203 East 4th [Fourth] street. Elmside or Elmwood house, built for either William Moses Brand in 1829, or George B. Kinkead in 1856. Extensively remodeled around 1900. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         57 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     West 4th [Fourth] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         124 West 4th [Fourth] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         58 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         477 West 4th [Fourth] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         59 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         519 West 4th [Fourth] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         60 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         627 West 4th [Fourth] street. The Lunatic Asylum or Eastern State Hospital. Built in 1817. 
                         1 
                         61 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     West 6th [Sixth] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         450 West 6th [Sixth] street. Built for John H. Robb before 1835. Sold to John Gibbs 1839. Enlarged and remodeled in 1866 for John B. Wallace. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         62 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     East 7th [Seventh] street 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         127 East 7th [Seventh] street. Built in mid 1800's. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         63 
                     
                    

                    
                 
                 
                     
                         135 East 7th [Seventh] street. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         64 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     Barr 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         165 Barr. Built for Augustus Hall in 1844, sold a year later to Elizabeth N. and Victoria A. Payne. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         65 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     Bellaire 
                     
                         
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         631 Bellaire. Built for Daniel Holsted in 1814. 
                         
                             
                         
                         1 
                         66 
                     
                    

                    
                 
             
             
                 
                     North Broadway