G.W. McGee Document,1862
- G.W. McGee Document,1862
- Confederate States Nitre and Mining Bureau
- 1 item
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- This document issued by the "CSNM Bureau" [apparently the Confederate States Nitre and Mining Bureau] from Knoxville, Tennessee October 13, 1862, authorized McGee to manufacture nitre. While he was so employed, this document protected him from interference by "Enrolling or Recruiting Officers" trying to conscript troops for the Confederate Army.
- A note concerning the donation with the document states McGee's father ran a store at Eagles Nest on the Holston River in Tennessee and that the McGees evidently made gunpowder.
- Arrangement: Chronological
- Storekeeper, gunpowder manufacturer
- County: Civil War