Pine Mountain Settlement School Miscellany Collection,1913-1975
- Pine Mountain Settlement School Miscellany Collection,1913-1975
- Pine Mountain Settlement School
- 1.3 lin. ft.
- Settlements -- Line Fork Settlement
- Women -- Settlement workers
- Appalachia -- Schools, settlement
- Women -- Physicians
- Harlan County, Kentucky -- Education
- Gilley, Kentucky -- Line Fork Settle
- Schools, settlement -- Pine Mountain Settlement School
- Appalachia -- Education
- Harlan County, Kentucky -- Schools, settlement
- Pine Mountain, Kentucky -- Pine Mountain Settlement School
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
- Berea College
- Scope and Content
- Materials are comprised of documentation of Pine Mountain Settlement School collected by Berea College library staff and include correspondence, reports, clippings and printed materials.
- Correspondence (1915 - 1950) includes business letters describing conditions at Pine Mountain Settlement School, requests for financial aid, details of future plans, and other topics. Correspondents include Katherine Pettit, William J. Hutchins, Francis S. Hutchins, and Adelaide Gundlach. Progress reports (1913 - 1917) were written to detail School programs and to solicit funds. Many were written and signed by Ethel deLong.
- Other materials include: essays and stories by students and staff (1 folder; n.d.); newsclippings (1922 - 1975); printed school calendars (1914 - 1971, various years); and Line Fork Settlement notes (1926 - 1933), which contain copies of letters from Dr. Ida S. Stapleton written from "the Cabin," a Pine Mountain School medical outpost in Gilley.
- Unpublished inventory/register.