Collins family papers
- Collins family papers
- 1808-1895 (inclusive)
- Bulk, 1839-1879 (bulk)
- 1.8 Cubic feet
- Authors, American--Kentucky.
- Publishers and publishing--Kentucky.
- Real estate investment--Wisconsin.
- Collection is arranged by subject.
- Preferred Citation
- 51M13 : [identification of item], Collins family papers, 1808-1895, Bulk 1839-1879, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
- University of Kentucky
- Biography / History
- Richard H. Collins (1824-1889) was the son of Lewis Collins, author of Historical Sketches of Kentucky (1848). An 1845 graduate of Centre College, Danville, Ky, and later of the Transylvania University School of Law, Richard Collins edited The Maysville Eagle from 1845 to 1850, and again from 1853 to 1857. He practiced law in Maysville from 1851 to 1853, and in Cincinnati from 1862 to 1871. Collins traveled extensively in Kentucky and Tennessee and further south during the Civil War. In 1874 he published Collins' History of Kentucky, based on his father's earlier work.
- Scope and Content
- This collection consists primarily of letters received by Mary Collins née Cox from her family and friends. Writers include her husband, Richard H. Collins, brother, Edward Cox, sisters, Fanny Broderick and Elizabeth "Lizzie" Cox, children, Lewis, Mary Ellen, Sue, and Annie Craig, son-in-law, S.L. Craig, neices, Lottie Blatterman and Phebe Broderick, sisters-in-law, Ellen Blatterman née Collins, Maria Owens née Collins, and Kate Ross née Collins, cousins Lucy Wiglesworth and James Wormald, as well as her English uncle Alfred Cox.
- The bulk of the family letters include news of births and deaths, visits, clothes, church, and social affairs. Many letters were written during the Civil War and contain comments on the war. Letters from Richard Collins detail the handling of his business affairs while he traveled during the war and letters from Alfred Cox, a hosiery manufacturer, contain comments on politics in England and America, Napoleon III, and Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Restrictions on Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access
- Collection is open to researchers by appointment.
- Use Restrictions
- The physical rights to the materials in this collection are held by the University of Kentucky Special Collections.
Contents of the Collection
General, 1836; 1840-1841; 1843-1849; undated
General, 1868-1878; undated
Phebe Broderick letters to Mary Collins, 1858-1864; 1870-1871; undated
Collins family, 1859-1861; 1864; 1870-1871; 1874-1875; 1878; undated
Lewis Collins letters to Mary Collins, 1868; 1870-1871; 1873-1876; undated
Mary Ellen Collins letters to Mary Collins, 1858; 1860-1861; 1863-1864
Mary Ellen Collins letters to Mary Collins, 1868; 1870-1871; 1873-1879; undated
Sue Collins letters to Mary Collins, 1868; 1870-1871; 1873-1879; undated
Letters received by Richard H. Collins, 1848; 1850-1851; 1854-1855; 1859-1864; 1868; 1870-1871; 1873-1874; undated
- Box 2, Folder 6
Scope and Contents note
Letters addressed to Richard H. Collins from his children, sisters, and sisters-in-law, as well as a small number from business associates.To top