Ruth and Latrobe Carroll Papers,ca. 1958
- Ruth and Latrobe Carroll Papers,ca. 1958
- Carroll, Ruth; Carroll, Latrobe
- .4 lin. ft.
- Tough Enough and Sassy, by Ruth and Latrobe Carroll (book)
- Appalachia -- Children's literature
- Appalachia -- Authors
- Women -- Authors
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Ruth and Latrobe Carroll are the authors of the "Tough Enough" series of children's stories set in the Southern Appalachian mountains. Ruth Carroll, a native of New York, was educated at Vassar College (A.B., 1922); her husband, Latrobe Carroll, was educated at Harvard University (A.B., 1918). The Carrolls were long-time residents of New York City but resided in Asheville, North Carolina after 1950.
- Scope and Content
- These manuscript drafts of the Carrolls' book, TOUGH ENOUGH AND SASSY, are accompanied by original illustrations, plot outlines, and miscellaneous notes.
- Materials include a typed first draft of TOUGH ENOUGH AND SASSY, which was later published in 1958 by Henry Z. Walch, Inc. This draft has been heavily edited by the authors and include notes outlining plot revisions, responses to changes suggested by the Carrolls' editors, other typed drafts, and Ruth Carroll's original drawings for the books.