Edwards Collection, 1841-1940
- Edwards Collection, 1841-1940
- Edwards Family
- 5 boxes, 35 folders, 156 items
- Account book-Edwards, Cyrus-Executor various estates-1898-1921
- Account books, 1883-1919
- Banks & banking - Caverna
- Caverna-Banks & banking
- Caverna - Town Board of Trustees
- Edwards, Cyrus, 1846-1939
- Edwards, Martin Van Buren, 1840-1928
- Edwards, William T, 1830-1927
- Grand Army of the Republic, Dept of Ky, Robert Storie Post #104, Hiseville
- Hamilton, John C., -1818, Deposition, 1878
- Hart County-Physicians
- Hart County-Surveys & surveying
- Horse Cave
- Louisville Turnpike Road-Stock Certificates
- Physicians-Hart County
- Storie, Robert, Post No. 104, G.A.R.
- Speeches- Edwards, Cyrus
- Telephone companies
- Thomas, Frank Morehead, 1868-1921
- Western Kentucky University
- Biography / History
- The son of Isaac N. and Annie (Bohannon) Edwards, William T. Edwards (1830-1927) was born in Barren County, Kentucky. Later, he practiced medicine in the Horse Cave community of Hart County. Dr. Edwards' first wife was Flora Poynter; his second wife was Mrs. Bunch Wilson; and his third wife was Rosa Meers. He died on March 8, 1927, leaving no children.
- William's younger brother, Martin Van Buren Edwards (1840-1928), was born in Barren County, Kentucky, also. Working on his father's farm until he was eighteen years old, Martin then began to study medicine under the protectorship of his brother, Dr. W. T. Edwards, in Hart County. Martin enlisted as a private in the Confederate Ninth Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry in 1862. Returning to Horse Cave at the close of the war, he entered the drug trade. In 1872, he enrolled in the Medical Department of the University of Louisville, graduating with high honors in the class of 1878. Martin practiced medicine in Horse Cave until his death. He married Lissie G. (Smith) Richey of Metcalfe County on October 19, 1880, and they had no children.
- Cyrus Edwards (1846-1939), surveyor and farmer, was the son of Alexander (b. 1810) and Julian (Chism) Edwards and was a second cousin of Martin and William. Born in Barren County, Cyrus enlisted in the Union Army on December 26, 1863, at Louisville and was discharged there in September 1865. After the Civil War, Cyrus directed a crew of surveyors in the West for a few years, was in Chicago at the time of the disastrous fire, and maintained an active interest in the activities of the Grand Army of the Republic. On December 20, 1877, he married Cinderella Crain, the daughter of Nathaniel and Cynthia (Keller) Crain. Their children were Louis, Florence, and Eva.
- Scope and Content
- The major portion of this collection is comprised of twelve account books dating from 1870 to 1919, of Drs. Martin Van Buren Edwards and William T. Edwards, who practiced medicine in Horse Cave, Kentucky. Letters, statements, bills, receipts, and fliers were found between the books' pages.
- Among the materials of Cyrus Edwards, there are items pertaining to his Grand Army of the Republic activities centered around the Robert Storie Post at Hiseville (including speeches from 1888 to 1930, a journal, history, and resolutions), an account book recording his actions as executor of several estates from 1898 to 1921 and about two hundred pages of Hart County surveys from 1893 to 1920.
- Additionally, some of the items concerning Horse Cave, Kentucky, include a minute book of the Board of Trustees from 1871 to 1892 and a bank ledger from 1873 to 1874.
Contents of the Collection
Cyrus Edwards (1846-1939) and Miscellaneous.
- Box 1
Letter to Cyrus Edwards from Frank M. Thomas. Jan. 29, 1914. 1 item.
- Box 1, folder 1
Journal of Robert Storie Post, Grand Army of the Republic, No.104, Department of Kentucky. 1888-1891. 1 item.
- Box 1, folder 2
Hart County Surveys by Cyrus Edwards. 1893-1920. Pages 37-238.
- Box 1, folder 3
Account Book, Cyrus Edwards, Executor of VariousEstates. 1898-1921. 1 item.
- Box 1, folder 4
History & Several Resolutions, Robert Storie Post, Hiseville, Grand Army of the Republic. 1901-1902. 6 items.
- Box 1, folder 5
Speeches, Cyrus Edwards, Grand Army of the Republic. 1903, 1915, 1930. 3 items.
- Box 1, folder 6
Gardiner, Florence (Edwards), Foreword to Book Cyrus Edwards'Stories of Early Days. 19401 item. Typed carbon.
- Box 1, folder 7
Stock Certificates Louisville Turnpike Road. 1841-1842. 6 items.
- Box 1, folder 8
Depositions relative to murder of Dr. Alexander Sanderson, trial of John C. Hamilton. 1887. 2 items.
- Box 1, folder 9
Open letter to Telephone Subscribers of Horse Cave,Kentucky. n.d. 3 pages.
- Box 1, folder 10
Minute Book, Board of Trustees Caverna-Horse Cave,Kentucky. 1871-1892. 358 pages.
- Box 1, folder 11
Ledger, Caverna Deposit Bank. 1873-1874. 78 pages.
- Box 1, folder 12
Dr. Martin Van Buren Edwards (1840-1928).
- Box 2
Correspondence removed from Account Books in Boxes 2, 3, and 4. 1883-1912. 25 items.
- Box 2, folder 1
Letters to M. V. Edwards re: Little Mattie Mining Stock.1901-1902. 4 items.
- Box 2, folder 2
Two tax receipts & chart removed from Dr. M. V. EdwardsAccount Book, 1885-1889. 1891. 3 items.
- Box 2, folder 3
Miscellaneous items removed from Dr. M. V. Edwards AccountBook, 1888-1890. 1890-1894. 10 items.
- Box 2, folder 4
Miscellaneous receipts, statements etc. removed from Dr. M.V.Edwards Account Book, 1891-1896. 1894-1896. 17 items.
- Box 2, folder 5
Account Book of Dr. M. V. Edwards - Patient & Personal. 1883-1912. 1 item. 109 pages.
- Box 2, folder 6
Account Book of Dr. M. V. Edwards - Patient & Personal. 1885-18891 item. 228 pages.
- Box 2, folder 7
Account Book of Dr. M. V. Edwards - Patient & Personal. 1888-1890 292 pages.
- Box 2, folder 8
Account Book of Dr. M. V. Edwards - Patient & Personal.1891-18961 item. 292 pages.
- Box 2, folder 9
Miscellaneous bills, receipts, statements & flyers removed fromAccount Book, M. V. Edwards, 1895-1902. 1894-1902. 35 items.
- Box 3, folder 1
Statements removed from M. V. Edwards Account Book,1907-1912. 1911-1913. 5 items.
- Box 3, folder 2
Statements removed from M. V. Edwards Account Book,1912-1918. 1913-1915. 7 items.
- Box 3, folder 3
Account Book, M. V. Edwards. 1895-1902. 1 item. 501 pages.
- Box 3, folder 4
Account Book, M. V. Edwards. 1907-1912. 1 item. 350 pages.
- Box 3, folder 5
Account Book, M. V. Edwards. 1911-1918. 1 item. 344 pages.
- Box 3, folder 6
Drug order, poem, & flyer removed from M. V. Edwards Ledger ofDrugstore & Patients' Accounts. 1879-1880. 3 items.
- Box 4 BSB, folder 1
Ledger, M. V. Edwards, Drugstore & Patients'Accounts. 1871-1881. Pages 1-410. Pages 541-615. Pages 659-687.
- Box 4 BSB, folder 2
Account Book, M. V. Edwards, Coal, Butter & Milk. 1918-1919. 1 item.
- Box 4 BSB, folder 3
Dr. William T. Edwards (1830-1927).
- Box 5 BSB
Account Book, Personal, Dr. W. T. Edwards, Walnut Hill, HartCounty, Ky. 1853-1859. 1 item.
- Box 5 BSB, folder 1
Statement of Dr. W. T. Edwards removed from Patients' AccountBook, 1870-1871. 1869.1 item.
- Box 5 BSB, folder 2
Receipts, bills, statements & flyers removed from W. T. EdwardsPatients' Account Book, 1904-1912.1901-1912. 10 items.
- Box 5 BSB, folder 3
Account Book - Patients' - Dr. W. T. Edwards.1870-1871.1 item. 165 pages.
- Box 5 BSB, folder 4
Account Book - Patients & Drugs - Dr. W. T. Edwards. 1904-1912. 1 item. Pages 1-133.Pages 277-317.
- Box 5 BSB, folder 5