Bowman Family Papers,1774-1836
- Bowman Family Papers,1774-1836
- Bowman Family
- 0.33 cubic ft.
- Clark's Expedition to the Illinois-- 1778-1779-- Sources.
- Soldiers-- Kentucky-- Archives.
- Bowman, John, 1738-1784.
- Bowman, John, 1771-1824.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Kentucky pioneers and soldiers. The papers include John Bowman's account book, 1776, kept while serving as quartermaster on Colonel William Christian's expedition against the Cherokee, and his land papers, 1774-1782; payroll, 24 January 1778, for Captain Joseph Bowman's company of George Rogers Clark's Illinois Regiment; his commission as major in the Virginia militia signed by Patrick Henry, and his certificate of death in 1779 signed by George Rogers Clark in 1782; and papers of John Bowman, 1771-1824, of Mercer County and other family members, consisting of correspondence, receipts, and accounts