Martin Frederick Schmidt Papers,1940-1993
- Martin Frederick Schmidt Papers,1940-1993
- Schmidt, Martin Frederick, 1918
- .33 cu. ft.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945.
- Neville (Ship)
- United States.-- Navy.-- Construction Battalion, 21st.
- United States.-- Navy-- History-- World War, 1939-1945.
- Presidents-- United States-- Election-- 1944.
- Women and the military.
- World War, 1939-1945-- Campaigns-- Alaska.
- World War, 1939-1945-- Engineering and construction.
- World War, 1939-1945-- Equipment and supplies.
- World War, 1939-1945-- Women.
- Alabama-- History-- 1819-1950.
- Alaska-- History-- 1867-1959.
- Aleutian Islands (Alaska)
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Materials pertain to Schmidt's tour of duty with the Supply Corps during World War II. Correspondence from 1942-1945 describes his responsibilities with the 21st Naval Construction Battalion in the Aleutian Island, the Navy's Commissioning Detail at the Gulf Shipping Corporation in Albama, and on board the U.S.S. Neville. Diaries from 1942 to 1943 reiterate his duties with the 21st in greater detail. A partial memoir offers recollections and commentary on Schmidt's time with the 21st, in Alabama, and on board the Neville. It also mentions his tenure with the Navy Disbursing Office, Escort Vessels in New York City, and the Navy's Commissioning Detail at the Pullman Standard Car Manufacturing Company Shipyard in Chicago. Other items of interest include Schmidt's 1944 brief history of the Supply Corps in wartime, issues of the The Aleutian magazine, The Harbor News newsletter, the Nevillogue newsletters, the 21st Naval Construction Battalion, 1942-1943 Annual, and a booklet on wartime contributions of the Waterman Steamship Corporation. Photographs of Schmidt's tour of duty in the Aleutian Island and family photographs are in the Filson Club's Photographs and Prints Department. Card file in repository