Will S. (William Shakespeare) Hays Photograph Collection, ca. 1850-1939
- Will S. (William Shakespeare) Hays Photograph Collection, ca. 1850-1939
- Hays, Will S. (William Shakespeare), 1837-1907
- 53 items
- Hayes Family-- Pictorial works.
- Lyricists-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- Photographs.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Will S. Hays (his more familiar name) was a song writer, newspaper columnist, and steamboat captain. A Louisville native, he wrote as many as five hundred songs including "Mollie Darling," which was said to have sold three million copies. The collection includes family photographs, daguerreotypes, and tintypes of Hays, his wife, their children, and other family members. Identified persons include Will S. Hays, Belle McCullough Hays, Doctor and Mrs. Samuel Brown Hays, Samuel Milton Hays, and Jane Hays. There are daguerreotypes of Martha Ridgeway Gibbs Holbert and James Holbert and tintypes of Mattie Belle Hays