James Sherburne Papers,1970-1974
- James Sherburne Papers,1970-1974
- Sherburne, James, 1925-
- 1 lin. ft.
- Hacey Miller, by James Sherburne (book)
- Way to Fort Pillow, by John Sherburne (book)
- Stand Like Men, by James Sherburne (book)
- Woodford County, Kentucky -- Authors
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:Joseph Knipp
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- James Sherburne, a native of Michigan, attended Berea College as a Naval Reserve V-12 student during 1943 and 1944 and later graduated from the University of Kentucky in 1947. After working in advertising for a number of years, Sherburne began writing as a full-time career. His publications include the historical novels HACEY MILLER (1971), THE WAY TO FORT PILLOW (1972), STAND LIKE MEN (1973), and RIVERS RUN TOGETHER (1974), as well as a mystery series starring the fictional Paddy Moretti. Sherburne resided at Midway, Kentucky.
- Scope and Content
- These are manuscript copies of Sherburne's first four novels, along with working notes and other materials reflecting his research.
- Materials include typed manuscripts and page proofs of HACEY MILLER, THE WAY TO FORT PILLOW, STAND LIKE MEN, and RIVERS RUN TOGETHER. Also included are plot outlines and chronologies, working notes, and a card file documenting Sherburne's research for the novels. Manuscripts appear to have been those submitted by Sherburne to the publisher, Houghton Mifflin, and contain infrequent editorial corrections.