Gilbert H. Friedell papers, 1953-2005, bulk 1965 - 1995
This collection consists of paper materials.
- Gilbert H. Friedell papers, 1953-2005, bulk 1965 - 1995
- University of Kentucky
- 52 Boxes, 52.5 cubic feet
- University of Kentucky
- Biography / History
- Dr. Gilbert Friedell was born on February 28, 1927 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He graduated from University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1947; a Masters degree in 1949; and a Doctorate in 1950. He received his American Board of Pathology diploma in 1955. He interned at the Minneapolis General Hospital, 1949 - 50 and his assistant residency was through the Mallory Institute of Pathology, 1950 - 52. He was an American Cancer Society fellow in pathology at the Free Hospital for Women, 1952 - 53 and a teaching fellow at Harvard Medical School, 1952 - 53. He worked at the Pondville Hospital and Salem Hospital, 1953 - 1955. At Boston University, he was an instructor 1958 - 61 and a fellow at the Strangeways Laboratory, England 1961 - 62. He also instructed at the Harvard Medical School 1962 - 67 and was the associate pathologist representing the Mallory Institute of Pathology at the Boston City Hospital, 1967 - 69. Dr. Friedell was an associate professor and lectured at the Harvard Medical School, 1967 - 69. He became Chief of the Department of Pathology at Saint Vincent Hospital, 1969 - 78. He was professor of pathology at University of Massachusetts, 1970 - 82 and at the University of Massachusetts, Worchester School of Medicine, 1970 - 73. In 1971 - 84, Dr. Friedell was the Director of the National Cancer Institute's National Bladder Cancer Project. He was the Medical Director of Saint Vincent Hospital in 1978 - 82 and between 1983 - 90, he was the Director for Cancer Control at the Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky (UK), Lexington, Kentucky. As of 2002, Dr. Friedell is both professor emeritus of Pathology at UK and Director Emeritus of Cancer Control at the UK Markey Cancer Center. Dr. Friedell's research is for the most part concerning bladder, ovarian and cervical cancers and he has a special reference to cancer screening for underserved populations.
- Facts for this biography are based on the publication entitled American Men and Women of Science, 2005, 22nd edition.
- Scope and Content
- This collection consists of paper materials. Dr. Gilbert H. Friedell was both a professor at the University of Kentucky (UK) in the College of Medicine, and the Director of Cancer Control at the UK Markey Cancer Center. In 2007, he is the professor emeritus and Director Emeritus of Cancer Control at the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center. The collection is divided into five series and two sub-series. The series are: correspondence, organizations, research, subject, and oversized / flat printed material. Correspondence, organizations, research, and subject series are divided into one sub-series: General. Oversized / Flat Printed Material series is divided into one sub-series: Charts. The date span of the collection is 1953 - 2005, bulk 1965 - 1995. Approximate dates are denoted by square brackets, and items not dated are marked "n.d."