William J. Hutchins Correspondence Collection,ca. 1890-1958
- William J. Hutchins Correspondence Collection,ca. 1890-1958
- Hutchins, William J.
- 10.8 lin. ft.
- Education, higher -- Administration
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
- Berea College
- Scope and Content
- Materials consist of William J. Hutchins's family and business correspondence, and miscellaneous personal letters.
- Hutchins's family correspondence includes Hutchins's letters to or from Robert G. and Harriet J. Hutchins, his parents; his wife, Anna Murch Hutchins; sons Robert Maynard and Francis S. Hutchins; and various others. Other personal correspondence is extensive and provides documentation of the network of Hutchins's friends and professional associates. Among these are Seth Low Pierrepont, William H. Danforth, Walter McDougall, Pauline Jeffery, and Hilda Watson, among others.
- Business correspondence (1.6 l.f.; 1919 - 1952) relates principally to Hutchins's private affairs, but a portion touches on college administration. Presidential/Administrative correspondence includes letters from Berea trustees, donors, faculty and staff, and others which in general reflect Hutchins's administration of the college. Some correspondence following Hutchins's retirement as president of the college is also present.
- Literary rights for the personal/family and business correspondence are retained by Francis S. Hutchins; single photocopies may be made for the private use of researchers.
- Folder list; unpublished guide.