Leach (George (Brownie)) Papers, 1947-1964.
- Leach (George (Brownie)) Papers, 1947-1964.
- Leach, George (Brownie), 1904-1980
- University of Louisville
- Biography / History
- The papers of George (Brownie) Leach, 1904-1980 were donated to the University of Louisville Archives and Record Center at two times, 1985 and 1991. They are the gift of his wife, Frances Scott Leach. A graduate of Transylvania, Leach first worked as a reporter, then sports editor for the Lexington Leader. He became director of publicity at Keeneland race course during the 1930s, then general manager during World War II. He moved to Churchill Downs as Director of Public Relations in 1945, remaining in that position until 1965. He wrote Derby books, containing biographical sketches of owners, trainers, riders, and breeders and was instrumental in assembling the track's original Derby Museum.
- The material in this collections consists of three distinct series: 1. folios on Kentucky Derby horses and press releases, 1947-54; 2. copies of the Churchill Downs News, 1954-1964; and 3. Kentucky Derby and racing movies, housed in the Photographic Archives.