Joseph McDowell photographs of the University of Kentucky,

Abstract

Sixteen, University of Kentucky photographs circa 1927.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Joseph McDowell photographs of the University of Kentucky,
Creator
Joseph McDowell
Extent
0.04 cubic feet (1 box):16 items
Subjects
McDowell, Joseph H., 1908-1971.
University of Kentucky.
Lexington (Ky.)
Students -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Finding Aid Author
Processed by Deirdre A. Scaggs in January 2007.; machine-readable finding aid created by Encoded by
Repository
University of Kentucky

Collection Overview

Biography / History
Joseph Harvey McDowell born on December 10, 1908 in Louisa, Kentucky to Eli Harvey McDowell and Ida Rice Johns McDowell. He lived with his grandparents, Martin Harrison Johns and Josephine Weddington Johns, in Louisa where he graduated from Louisa High School in 1926. He was an engineering student at the University of Kentucky in 1927-1928 and served in the Civilian Conservation Corps at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky in 1933. He moved to North Carolina in 1935 and was employed as a Mechanical Engineer with Duke Power Company for 35 years. At his death on May 4, 1971, he was Superintendent of Buck Steam Plant in Spencer, North Carolina. He married Daisy Parks in 1937 and was the father of two children, Betty McDowell Garrett and Joseph Harvey "Tony" McDowell II. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church in Salisbury, North Carolina, a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and a member of the Kiwanis Club in Salisbury.
Scope and Content
The Joseph McDowell photographs of the University of Kentucky consist of sixteen prints related to UK that were originally in an album. It includes university buildings and two informal images of instructors and students. The building prints were commercially made, but the descriptions in quotation marks were taken directly from the album that the photographs were contained.

Restrictions on Access and Use

Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to researchers by appointment.

Contents of the Collection

"Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Dicker, Shop Instructor of College of Engineering University of Kentucky."

  • Box 1
  • Item 1
To top

"Some Freshmen Engineers University of Kentucky 1927-1928."

  • Box 1
  • Item 2
To top

Beull Hall, "Buell Hall was the Armory."

  • Box 1
  • Item 3
To top

The Presidents House (Maxwell Place)

  • Box 1
  • Item 4
To top

Kastle Hall, "Kastle Hall where Mitchell taught Chemistry - boy - and how."

  • Box 1
  • Item 5
To top

Main Driveway

  • Box 1
  • Item 6
To top

Law Building

  • Box 1
  • Item 7
To top

Experiment Station

  • Box 1
  • Item 8
To top

Men's Gymnasium Building

  • Box 1
  • Item 9
To top

Mechanical Hall, "Mechanical Hall engineers headquarters."

  • Box 1
  • Item 10
To top

Administration (Main) Building

  • Box 1
  • Item 11
To top

White Hall, "White Hall was oldest building on U. of K. campus."

  • Box 1
  • Item 12
To top

Agriculture Building

  • Box 1
  • Item 13
To top

Carnegie Library

  • Box 1
  • Item 14
To top

Education Building

  • Box 1
  • Item 15
To top

Patterson Hall, "Girls Dorm."

  • Box 1
  • Item 16
To top

UK Libraries Special Collections Research Center is open by appointment only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Materials must be requested at least 5 days before your appointment.

Researchers must have an SCRC Researcher Account to request materials. View account set-up and use instructions here.

Questions? Contact SCRC via our Contact Form.

UK Libraries Special Collections Research Center is open by appointment only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Materials must be requested at least 5 days before your appointment.

Researchers must have an SCRC Researcher Account to request materials. View account set-up and use instructions here.

Questions? Contact SCRC via our Contact Form.

Requests

No items have been requested.



  1. Schedule an appointment. Properly fitting masks are required.

  2. Submit a request for SCRC materials.