Heyburn (Henry R.) Papers, ca.1945-1974
- Heyburn (Henry R.) Papers, ca.1945-1974
- Heyburn, Henry R., 1920-1991
- 16 linear ft.
- University of Louisville
- Biography / History
- Henry R. Heyburn was a prominent attorney and civic leader in Louisville, Kentucky. Among many activities, Heyburn served on the board at Community (Red Cross) Hospital from 1950 to 1974. He served in many capacities during this time as a member on the finance, constitution and bylaws, and endowment fund. He also served as chair. These records, held in University Archives, include correspondence, financial reports, articles and bylaws, and other pertinent information describing the operation of the hospital. Heyburn's long interest in the Falkland Islands and dependent territories in the Antarctic began with his passion for philately. His focus expanded as he traveled to the Falkland Islands, and researched the lives of early Falkland settlers. Heyburn became particularly interested in the career of William Lamond Allardyce (1861-1930) governor of the Falkland Islands from 1904 to 1915 and a pioneer conservationist.
- Scope and Content
- Henry R. Heyburn, a prominent Louisville attorney was a member of the board at Red Cross (Community) Hospital from 1950- 1974. He served in many capacities during this time being a member on such committees as Finance, Constitution and By-Laws and Endowment Fund. He also for a time was chairman of the board.
- These records include correspondence, financial reports, articles and bylaws, and other pertinent information describing the operating of the hospital. It portrays many of the problems inherent in such an operation, from large financial ones down to the individual level in the case of problems with individuals, both employees and patients. This section consists of three boxes.
Contents of the Collection
The Foote System (1953-1959)- correspondence
- Box 1, folder 1
A loose folder entitled A Master Plan Study for Red Cross Hospital dated April, 1967
- Box 1, folder 1
1959 Fund Campaign and related materials
- Box 2, folder 1
Finance Committee- reports, advertising campaign of 1970, articles on hospital finances, and miscellaneous.
- Box 2, folder 2 and 3
Correspondence- (1966-1974) also several committee reports, copy of articles of incorporation, planning prospectus.
- Box 2, folder 4 and 5
Board of Directors- miscellaneous (1953-1969)
- Box 2, folder 6
Articles and Bylaws, miscellaneous
- Box 2, folder 7 and 8
Contains audit reports and budget from 1945-1973 also one miscellaneous folder.
- Box 3