Berea College Photographic Collection,ca. 1885-1981 (bulk 1900-1981)
- Berea College Photographic Collection,ca. 1885-1981 (bulk 1900-1981)
- Berea College
- ca. 35 lin. ft.
- Berea, Kentucky -- Berea College
- Appalachia -- Description and travel
- Students, college -- Berea College
- Organizations, campus
- Sports -- Madison County, Kentucky
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Although the sources of photographs are not always indicated, the bulk was apparently generated in the Berea College Publicity Department and the College News Bureau. In addition, portions of the photographs were donated by individuals, most of whom have some connection with the College. Chief among these is Roy N. Walters who was dean of the Berea College Foundation School from 1943 to 1968. Walters established the College Publicity Department in 1933 and was an unofficial campus photographer throughout his career at Berea.
- Scope and Content
- Materials consist of photographic prints, negatives, and slides which relate in general to Berea College.
- The collection consists of photographs of Berea students, faculty, and staff; of campus organizations; of campus buildings; and of numerous events, including athletic competitions, conferences, special programs, and ceremonies. The bulk of the collection is comprised of black and white prints and of negatives, although some slides and motion picture films are present.
- The Walters photographs (ca. 6 1.f.) essentially document the same subjects with a special emphasis on Foundation School students and programs. In addition to providing a photographic record of College programs for the period, the collection also includes images of the town of Berea and of Appalachia.
- Partial folder list.