Carolus Brenner Photograph Albums, ca. 1903-1909
- Carolus Brenner Photograph Albums, ca. 1903-1909
- Brenner, Carolus, 1865-1929
- 2 v.
- Europe-- Description and travel-- Views.
- Mills and mill-work-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- Photographs.
- Oldham County (Ky.)-- Description and travel-- Views.
- Rivers-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- Photographs.
- Wharves-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- Photographs.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Carolus Brenner was a son of Louisville artist Carl C. Brenner and was himself an artist. These albums contain snapshots and photographs taken by Carolus Brenner. There are photographs taken in Europe, possibly in 1903 since that date appears on one photograph; other photographs were taken in Oldham County, Ky., in 1909 and include views near Worthington, a Brenner family home near Pewee Valley, and women packing grapes at Tyler's farm near Worthington. Photographs of the Louisville wharf, Beargrass Creek in Cherokee Park, and the Wolf Pen Branch mill were also taken in 1909. A large portfolio contains pages with photographs attached, identified, and decorated by Brenner. All of these photographs were taken in Germany, Holland, Italy, Switzerland, France, England, and Scotland and are not dated. They may have been taken during the 1903 trip. Brenner studied art in Germany, and possibly in France, in the 1880s and 1890s and he may have taken them then