Berea College - Deans and Vice Presidents Papers,ca. 1900-1970
- Berea College - Deans and Vice Presidents Papers,ca. 1900-1970
- Deans and Vice Presidents (Berea College)
- 6.3 lin. ft.
- Colleges and universities -- Berea Coll
- Education, higher -- Administration
- Madison County, Kentucky -- Colleges and universities
- World War II -- Berea College
- American Democracy and Military Power, by Louis Smith (book)
- Berea, Kentucky -- Berea College
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
- Berea College
- Scope and Content
- This diverse collection contains subject files and official papers from several Deans and one Vice President, George Allen Hubbell (1904 - 1906).
- Notable among these records are the papers of Louis Smith who came to Berea as an instructor in 1927 and served as Dean of the Upper Division before serving as Dean of the College from 1947 to 1969. In addition to subject files on college matters, his papers contain a typescript and galley proof of his book AMERICAN DEMOCRACY AND MILITARY POWER published by the University of Chicago Press. There is also information relating to the Naval Reserve V-12 Unit stationed at Berea during World War II.
- Also included are the papers of Kenneth Thompson who served as Dean of Instruction and Associate Dean of the College in the 1960s. Thompson's subject files include reports and minutes on college affairs and also on community and national organizations in which he was involved. The remainder of the collection includes correspondence and reports from Julia Frances Allen, Dean of College Women in the 1930s, and from Charles Noble Shutt, Dean of the Academy in the 1920s.