Briney Family Papers,1830-1985
- Briney Family Papers,1830-1985
- Briney Family
- 1.33 cubic ft.
- Anderson, Mary, 1859-1940.
- Bingham, Barry, 1906-1988-- Correspondence.
- Bingham, Robert Worth, 1871-1937-- Correspondence.
- Carter family.
- Children-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- Courier-journal (Louisville, Ky.)
- Filson Club.
- Journalists-- Kentucky-- Louisville.
- Louisville Male High School (Louisville, Ky.)
- Vassar College.
- Briney, Melville Otter, 1899-1986.
- Briney, Russell, 1900-1966.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Papers of the Otter and Briney family of Louisville, Kentucky. Melville Otter Briney was a columnist for the Louisville Times and an author; her husband, Russell Briney, spent many years with the Courier-Journal, eventually becoming an editor. Papers include correspondence to Biddie Brown from suitors, 1852-1855; from members of the James G. Carter family, 1858-1894; from Melville Wortham Otter at Vassar College and in Europe, 1905-1925; courtship letters, 1926, between Melville Otter and Russell Briney; letters between Russell Briney and Judge Robert Worth Bingham and Barry Bingham Sr., regarding Briney's writing and work, 1950-1964; and personal letters to Melville Briney, 1980-1985. Legal documents; speeches, sermons, and resolutions; programs and announcements; material regarding the Courier-Journal Building, the history of the Louisville Times, and a lengthy promotion of Judge Robert Worth Bingham for Fourth Estate; newspaper clippings regarding the Carter, Otter, and Briney families; receipts; personal poems and prayers; genealogical data on the Carter and Churchill families; a wedding souvenir book, and scrapbooks. Card index in repository